We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Park Charges

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car Park Charges

We have just visited Polperro (Thusday 5th April 2012), There is only one car park and the fees used to be reasonable. The minimum car park charge is now £4 for 3 hours. Nothing cheaper! Is this just for the Easter holidays and what do you find to do in Polperro for 3 hours?

313 replies to this topic
staffordshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: Car Park Charges

Having just stayed in Polperro for a week I can honestly say I didn't begrudge a penny of the £32.00 it cost me to park - honestly one of the most lovely places I have ever been to! I cannot imagine wanting to spend less than 3 hours here and £4 is really well worth it - yes it might be a good idea to offer a 1 or 2 hour parking at a lower rate but I suspect most people would end up extending it! The closed shops and restaurants are a shame but you find that all over the UK at the moment and I am sure things will improve with the economy.

Polperro, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
132. Re: Car Park Charges

Polperro Festival is the 14th - 22nd of June 2014 and the car parking charges will be reduced for this period to just £4 per day .....Yes thats all day for just £4 so get yourselves down to our lovely village and enjoy our annual Festival. :)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
133. Re: Car Park Charges

Sounds like an absolute bargain to me, compared with over here near Cambridge! Looking forward to our visit to Cornwall next week, sadly will be on our way home when the festival starts :(

134. Re: Car Park Charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 15:35

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
135. Re: Car Park Charges

I think if you intend to spend a few hours in Polperro - then £4 is not unreasonable. But if you fancy a quick pint in one of the pubs - it's off putting to say the least. We are regular visitors to the area and whereas previously we would have popped in on our way back from a visit elsewhere, we don't now. If you are going once or twice a year, agreed you'd be mad to miss out on this beautiful village for the sake of a few pounds. The car park owner is known locally for his arrogance and ignorance for the way he treats the local business owners. But tourists will surely be missing a treat if they don't visit.

Wednesbury, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
136. Re: Car Park Charges

There is plenty to do in Polperro in three hours!!!

Preston, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
137. Re: Car Park Charges

I have just visited one of the uk economies last monopolies and like any monopoly it's just totally fleeced me. Polperro has only one car park. I entered it today and a Good Samaritan on his way out gave me his ticket saying there was one and a half hours left on it. We spent an hr in Polperro pumping money into the local economy . On my return I noticed I had a fixed penalty notice on my windscreen . When I challenged the local jobsworth about this he insisted I hadn't paid for my ticket and he had seen some one give it to me and it was all on CCTV! This despite the fact that the ticket still had 16 mins still to run so basically some one had paid for 4 hrs and they had only had to provide car parking for 3 3/4 hrs AND STILL THEY WERENT HAPPY. I won't spend one more penny ever in Polperro . This practice is widespread on this car park as it is £4 for 3 hrs which is extortion anyway . People need to be aware polperro's answer to the Gambians will fine them if they see it.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
138. Re: Car Park Charges

I would imagine the tickets are marked "non transferable" as many parking tickets are. So that means someone cannot just give you their ticket.

Steven, if paying £4 will stop you spending money in Polperro, then that's up to you, but to me it seems pretty short sighted.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
139. Re: Car Park Charges

People often give unused tickets away. I have given and received them several times all over the place.

If the space has been paid for, for a set amount of time, and the ticket is still valid, how can you get a fine.

You can't seem to do anything these days without some jobsworth screwing you over.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
140. Re: Car Park Charges

To be honest I have too Badcat, but wouldn't complain if I got caught out on it!

Reply to: Car Park Charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Polperro
Recent Conversations