We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Disappointed

My husband and I visited Polperro on Saturday 1st March after 5 years. We always loved it and its atmosphere but this time were absolutely disgusted by the sight of this normally vibrant cornish village, albeit not quite in the tourist season. We found it to be dull, dirty and unwelcoming with many of the shops and restaurants closed and unkempt. The only restaurant which we found open we would not have gone into so after a long walk from the car park there was no-where we could get a coffee or indeed a cornish tea!! I'm afraid it will be a long time before we visit again - very disappointed, needs a lot of care and attention I'm afraid, such a shame. There were several tourists arriving when we were leaving and we felt sorry for them, nothing was open, compared to Looe and Mevagissey where everything was open. Very disappointing.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointed

Many people who work in the tourist industry take their holidays out of season. Maybe they were having a well-deserved break.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointed

Cornwall is lovely at any time, but tourists are thin on the ground in early March. Maybe Looe and Mevagissey were busier because people live there all year round, whereas a village like Polperro will have a very small resident population

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointed

I do asppreciate that and have spent many a happy time staying at The Watchers in Polperro (which has now been sold) but it was still disappointing and I heard many comments from those on coach trips. Hopefully it will improve when the tourist season "awakens". Lets wait and see!!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,661 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointed

I certainly wouldn't let an experience at the start of March put me off visiting this beautiful place in the summer.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointed

In the South West the tourist season as far as tea shops and restaurants doesn't start until mid March because partly there isn't enough trade and partly because with working 7 days a week through the summer they take time off in the winter.Also it has been to cold and wet to do much to clean up properties and I would guess they too are enjoying not just the dry but the sun before they are stuck working while the rest of us relax over a cup of tea.

There are a lot of coach tours in the first 2 weeks and they are the cheapest ones precisely because the hotels are empty. The same thing happens here.

On the plus side driving is a pleasure as you don't have much traffic on the road meaning you can pull over and look at a view or take a walk without disrupting others. I had a wonderful day out 2 weeks ago just like that, time to relax on the drive and stop just wherever I wished. But we did struggle to find a cup of tea. Did though and packed a flask anyway knowing this is how things are in the winter.

Polperro, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointed

Considering Polperro has just survived the worst storms in decades it's hardly surprising it's looking a bit battered, but spring is here now, the paint pots will be out and everyone will be busy repairing the damage. Polperro has lots to offer, if you like fantastic seascapes, lovely walks, proper pubs, real ale etc don't let Mr and Mrs Grumpy put you off visiting our beautiful village:-)

UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disappointed

We're in Polperro at the moment. We have stayed here on this weekend for the last 7 years. Previously we visited in august most years but made a conscious decision to come at a time when the crowds are absent. It is quiet, many shops only open for a few hours, some restaurants not at all. As Annabelle said, possibly business people are taking their rest away from peak times. They're unlikely to go in the summer. As for the village being untidy, I think the villagers have done a fantastic job to keep going after the recent storms. Possibility you've missed those in the news. Polperro is a working harbour which has been damaged (the beach isn't normally fenced off) but people have to keep going. Yes a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss but on a glorious weekend as this you barely notice. I hate to see when trip advisor is used negatively. The people of Polperro need our support.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disappointed

At least the OP didn't complain about the car park charges which most visitors do. It looks like Polperro gets an unfair amount of bad press recently. but it needs to sort out the parking rip off, or visitors will not return.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disappointed

What a peculiar comment - Of course it's "dull" in March the tourist season hasn't started and property and business owners are either taking a break themselves of gearing up for Easter which is when the first influx of visitors usually arrive. It's no different from any other seaside village.

I've just returned from three days down there, Mon/Tue/Wed and the place has been battered beyond comprehension by a combination of heavy rain off the moors, high tides and storms. I know many of the locals, some are still mopping out their cellars, replacing broken windows, roof tiles and shutters from the storms and generally, just trying to be ready for the start of the season.

I lived in Polperro for many years and visit at least once a month for work; the majority of the tea shops and restaurants NEVER open in March, it's not worth it considering the high rents and rates they pay and at best, might open all day and end up serving a couple of cream teas. I think you have a very unrealistic view of the village and for people who purport to be "regular visitors, a rather naive one too.

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
299 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disappointed

We are visiting Cornwall soon for a week starting on Friday 21s March. We will be staying at Trenython Manor just outside St. Austell. We are intending to walk quite a bit of the coastal path around this area and will visit Looe, Polperro and Fowey and many other places in the five days we have in between travelling down and back to the Wirral. Can anyone advise if the coastal path has suffered erosion from the terrible storms that this area had to suffer? We are not put off by bad weather as we walk in all weathers, although we are keeping our fingers crossed for dry days.

We love Cornwall and have visited many times in the off season and still managed to get good walking weather. Absolutely love it. I was born in Devon and my parents retired to Looe. Hopefully we will be able to get a cream tea, fresh crab sandwich and a lovely Cornish pasty whilst we are there.

Get answers to your questions about Polperro
Recent Conversations