We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Issac in November

yorkshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Port Issac in November

Hi

we are visiting port issac for a weekend in Novmeber. Will there be much open in the town and whats good to visit close by as we are only there for a weekend we would like to see as much as possible. Any ideas? Also has anyone stayed in the Coastguard cottage on fore street? thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Issac in November

Hi there

There will be places open for eating and drinking so no worries on that score.

Things to do - Launceston is a shortish drive away where you will find it's lovely castle. Similarly, if you drive down to Bodmin, that too is a historic town and is within close distance of the Eden Project (ideal if it's wet), Lanhydrock House, Lostwithiel (very historic and hugely overlooked little town) and lovely coastal villages such as Fowey, Mevagissey and Charlestown.

Tintagel and all it's "links" to King Arthur and Camelot is just up the coast from Port Isaac - personally, I find the place rather tacky but that's just my opinion of course.

It just really depends upon how far afield you want to go in a weekend. If the weather's like it is today, I'd prefer to get comfy in a local pub in front of a log fire....:0)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Issac in November

Hi Thanks for replying. I know what you mean about getting settled in a pub when the weather is cold!!! Which pubs do you recommend in Port Issac? Your advice sounds great so I will print it off and we can have a look on a map where the place are. We cant wait - we love watching doc martin and its from seeing the village on that that we have decided to come - although out of season so its not too busy. We will travel to anywhere we can get to and back in a day. Afterall we are travelling six hours to come down there for a weekend! Shoule be nice just hope the weather is dry!!!!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Issac in November

Have a look at Padstow as well while you are here, very close to Port Isaac, but probably a bit more going on. Port Isaac itself is very small, although there will still be things to see and do,

A word of advice though, don't try to do too much in one weekend, take your time and see things properly, relax and enjoy your break. That's what Cornwall is all about, too many people ruin their holidays rushing around trying to see everything, just take it easy, you can always come back, we aren't going anywhere!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Issac in November

Hi again

Try www.crowsnestportisaac.co.uk

Great food and beer and superb views.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Issac in November

I just need to point out that Lanhydrock house is now closed for the winter and that there are plenty of lovely places nearer to Port Issac than Launceston or Bodmin - especially with only a weekend to spend. In fact I never recommend Bodmin as a place to visit unless someone has a particular interest in the Jail - where the food is very good by the way. If you want to have a mooch around a town Wadebridge is a better bet with interesting shops, pubs and places to eat.

There us another thread a little further down the page on which you might like to have a look at as it contains lots of useful information for you. My advice would be to stay fairly local and enjoy what Cornwall does best - the beautiful coastline.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Issac in November

There's loads of history in Bodmin, you might just have to dig a little deeper than you might have to do in other places. Same in Lostwithiel, an amazingly underrated little town brimming with history.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Issac in November

I agree GB, although on the surface it isn't a touristy place, just look at the parish church with the casket for St Petroc's bones, the interesting wells around the town, the old railway to name but a few. Not sure if it still happens, but there used to be organised walks around town which were free and very popular.

Last time I went to the jail to eat the food was ok, nothing special, but the wait for it was horrendous, over an hour. Hope they have improved. On the other hand the food at the Westberry is brilliant, ate there last week, very good service and very reasonable prices as well.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Issac in November

Hi Annabelle

Lostwithiel suffers I think because the main A390 road doesn't as such run "through" the town and totally misses the main street where you have an amazing little Borough museum, the church of St Bartholomew, the Duchy Palace, the Tudor Bridge and lots of old buildings. Restormel castle is just a short hop away too and I would always recommend that any visitor to southeast Cornwall takes at least half a day to see this old stannary town.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Issac in November

It wasn't my intention to diss Bodmin (how would I dare!) but, as you say, the history does need to be looked for and therefore I still feel it isn't an ideal visiting place for someone visiting Port Isaac in winter with only a weekend to spare. And not everyone who goes to Cornwall is particularly interested in history. Bodmin combined with a ride on the Camel Trail or The Bodmin & Wexford railway in summer - now that's a different story.

Similarly Lostwithiel is a lovely place for a short visit especially for anyone interested in antiques as well as history and don't forget the walks along the river but it doesn't seem particularly appropriate for this poster's purposes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Issac in November

On our recent trip to the UK, we drove from Martock in Somerset to Port Isaac, stopping en-route at Bodmin Gaol for lunch. Had a hamburger and it was absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious:-) It was a bit huge though and I couldn't eat any dinner that night LOL (well, apart from a cup of Yorkshire Tea and some toast with Vegemite .... I really wish we could get Yorkshire Tea here, it's lovely).

Port Isaac was incredible; in fact, everywhere we went was incredible! We only had a week in Cornwall, so we've already started planning our return trip - probably May/June 2012, when we'll spend a fortnight in Cornwall (along with a week in Cheshire to see the rellies and a week in Kent before flying home). Only one caveat for the next trip: if we can't afford to fly business class, we'll be giving it a miss. However, I've already budgeted (should 'budget/ted have one t or 2?) in the cost of business class, so it looks like a goer :-)

We were in Port Isaac from 10th to 17th October and the weather couldn't have been better - it was so warm that we actually got a bit sunburned when we walked up onto the headland and sat there for an hour or so, eating our sangers and fruit salad for lunch. Bliss!

We think Cornwall is perfect, just perfect :-)

Edited: 05 December 2009, 09:41