We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a Cottage

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing a Cottage

Three ladies from the US are traveling to Port Isaac in September and are debating between several self-catering cottage options. They all look nice, but just curious if anyone has feedback on either Khandalla or Dolphin Cottage (both from John Bray Co.).

Thanks for any info!

Cornish Coast  Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Harbour, Port Isaac, Cornwall
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a Cottage

I can't help you with any specifics about the cottages themselves other than to comment on their locations. And to say that John Bray is a reputable company which we and our family have used many times.

I wouldn't personally want to rent any cottage that meant I had to drive down through the village and past the harbour to get there as the road is very narrow in places especially on the blind bend towards the bottom. From an onlookers's point of view it can be quite amusing watching the chaos there sometimes. So for me, that would put a big question mark over Khandalla (stunning views though) as getting there would also mean driving up Roscarrock hill (past the Doc's house) which is also very narrow.

Dolphin Cottage looks lovely doesn't it and although I know roughly where it is, I don't know what route you'd take to get to it for parking. Perhaps someone else can help there.

I've just realised that I've assumed you'll have a car as Port Isaac isn't well blessed with public transport links - so just ignore what I've said if you won't be driving.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 00:46
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a Cottage

If you will have a car, I not only second, but third, fourth and fifth everything Sammysgranny said about driving in the old part of the village ..... my heart was in my mouth when I saw vehicles there - I was only walking and felt the need to stand with my back against the wall as cars passed, sucking in my stomach ....

We've rented a cottage called Eastcliffe for our next holiday and it looks like it'll fit all our criteria .... parking at the rear (bless), great views and great location (opposite the Boathouse Stores which is next to "the school" in Doc Martin), so I won't have the worry of driving all the way down Fore Street and definitely nowhere near Roscarrock Hill ;-)

Edited: 25 May 2012, 04:50
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a Cottage

Hello, I would just like to say that you could probably save some pennies (and some hairy driving around the old village, as others have said) by looking around and outside Port Isaac. Such as this cottage in treknow holiday-rentals.co.uk/England/…p62137.htm

Or, although not as pretty a village, by staying in Tintagel, which has the added benefit of a spar and costcutter open reasonably late for milk etc. and some great views over to the castle depending on where you stay!

However a few years back we were looking to stay in Port Isaac, I believe we did actually nearly choose Dolphin cottage, which looks nice and airy and newly decorated in the bedrooms! :)

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a Cottage

Thank you so much for your feedback about the driving issue in Port Isaac. I think we all were a little concerned about driving in the village, and we will take your advice seriously.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a Cottage

Thanks so much for your reply. We were all a little concerned about driving in the village, and will take your advice very seriously.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a Cottage

We accidentally found ourselves in the middle of Port Isaac on our first day in Cornwall and I was very pleased that the other half was driving and that we were in my small car and not his Focus, he handled it very well but my heart was in my mouth and I'd hate to have to do it on a daily basis, it would definitely put us off renting in the middle of the village.

7. Re: Choosing a Cottage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac