We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport to Port Isaac?

We are thinking of staying 2 nights in Port Isaac next May as part of a walking holiday in Cornwall. We will be coming by train from the north and I think I have it figured out as far as Bodmin. But the bus from there looks complicated---it appears we have to change in Wadebridge? Is there any possibility of a local taxi service to take us? There will be four of us. I have no sense of the distance involved, so maybe the cost would be prohibitive, but maybe not.

Thanks for your help.

Cornish Coast  Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Harbour, Port Isaac, Cornwall
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Scenic Walking Areas
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

It's the (lack of) frequency of the bus that will be the problem - it's not complicated.

Between 4 a taxi shouldn't be that bad though - it's about 15 miles. I'd guess £10 a head.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 22:51
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

That price would be fine----much better than a long wait for the next bus, especially if we have to change on the way. Thanks for your help.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 00:49
St Arnaud, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Hi Enzian, Last year as a solo traveller I caught a taxi from Bodmin to Port Isaac and return.it was a convenient and interesting 30 odd minute trip and the driver each time was very friendly and indulged me with theirDoc Martin tales! The price of about 30 pounds was well worth it. I had a lovely time at Port Isaac! Lucky you! Where are you staying? I stayed at the Slipway.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 01:27
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Thanks, RosePetal. You have convinced me that taxi is the way to go, especially with four of us.

Would you Recommend the Slipway Hotel? The location looks perfect, but they want full payment in advance for reservations on the website. Mthe Bay Hotel looks appealing, but I don't know mif the location is good. Mlooks like itis on the far edge of the village, with a dicey walk down a narrow lane to reachnthepibs and Platt.

I see Santa Claus has already passed by Oz on his journey. Merry Christmas!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Merry Christmas, Enzian :-)

I've stayed in Port Isaac quite a few times now, for at least a week each time and have walked the length and breadth of the village, but don't know of a hotel called Mthe Bay Hotel (is it perhaps up near the carpark?). There's a B&B hotel up near the headland called Hathaways - it is a steepish walk back up from the village, but an easy walk down (5 minutes' walk approximately). I wouldn't call any of the streets in old part of Port Isaac 'dicey' for walking - narrow, yes but it's not like you'll be bowled over by any speeding vehicles (I think speeding in Port Isaac would be highly unlikely ...).

I've never stayed in any of the b&bs or hotels in Port Isaac because we always rent a cottage, so can't recommend any b&bs/hotels. We have eaten in the restaurant at the Slipway (nice, but not as good as expected) and at The Mote (which was very good - and cheaper than the Slipway). I've yet to eat at The Golden Lion, because we've never been able to get a table. Cupcakes was very nice for lunch.

Enjoy your visit to Port Isaac - it's a lovely village (and the locals are very friendly)

St Arnaud, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Hi Enzian,

Merry Christmas to you in a few hours when you are up and about! For us its time to fall into bed after a lovely festive day.

I was very happy with my stay at The Slipway Hotel and because of its location couldn't imagine having stayed anywhere else! It was great value, friendly and I had a room over looking the harbour. The Bay Hotel looks ok also but it would be a steep walk home from the pubs and the platt !! I enjoyed a meal in the restaurant each night, followed by a nightcap in the bar chatting with the friendly bar staff and locals.

It is worth looking on Booking.com as you may not need to pay in full when reserving your accommodation .I booked on the slipways website and they arranged the taxi for me (The phone number of M J Taxis is 07915169902.) Cheers!

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Thank you so much! Mathis is very helpful.

The Bay Hotel is up on the Terrace, and according to Google maps itis on the road down to Port gaverne. I honk the views are east toward Port Gaverne rather than to Port Isaac and its bay.

The two that appear most appealing to me for location and views are Hathaway House and the Slipway. The Old School Hotel looks nice too but is more expensive, at least for a nice room with a view.

Maybe Inwill contact all three to see what is available for our dates. Maybe that will help me sort it out!

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Just thought I would report back on our travel to Port Isaac. We took the train to Bodmin Parkway ( on the line coming from Plymouth and Exeter St. David's). I pre-booked a taxi online with Parnell's taxi in Bodmin. The rate quoted for the 35-minute journey was £35 for the four of us plus luggage. The driver was waiting at the station and the ride easy and pleasant. We booked the return with the same company and got a very friendly driver who chatted about the area and then, as we had extra time, detoured through Bodmin town to show us the famous jail. It was well worth the £35 and avoided the long bus journey with transfers.

Port Isaac was lovely and we are so glad we went.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

Glad you had a good time, and thank you for coming back to let us know.

Marion Iowa USA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport to Port Isaac?

The Old School was decent and not too expensive for a single in October. Of course, expensive is relative.

Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac