We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer holiday in Cornwall

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Summer holiday in Cornwall

Hi,

Am thinking of spending 10 days in cornwall in August but have never been before and need advice on where to stay!! We are looking for accommodation near a beach or where there are a few beaches, any suggestions?? We will have a car to travel around.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

Hi,

I would like to recommend "Falmouth" as a base for your holiday. See inside Pages for Falmouth for more detailed information....But briefly it has safe Sandy Beaches - Gyllyngvase, Swanpool and Maenporth. A castle called Pendennis and by catching a passenger ferry across the estury you can see another castle called St.Mawes Castle. Falmouth is busy place in the summer (like most places!) so you will need to book your accommodation soon. There is also plenty to do should the weather not be kind....We have an indoor swimming pool on the edge of the town, a bowling alley and locally there are a couple of gardens called Glendurgan & Trebah....the first has a maze which is good fun!! Falmouth's dining scene caters for all tastes - ages and budgets (again see Falmout's inside pages for more detailed places!)

With regard to accommodation have a look on the web pages i've added below they may help you. And if you see somewhere you like and want to know about the area/location it's in just ask me and i'll do my best to help :)

in-falmouth.co.uk/self-catering/index.html

www.cornwall-online.co.uk/acc-sc-falmouth.htm

westcountry-online.com/towns/falmouth/selfca…

Hope this helps, you will not be disappointed if you choose this area as it's location for touring out and around Cornwall is centrally based for visiting other areas of enjoyment.

Places to visit are as follows:-

The Lizard, Helston - Britans most southerly point (but make sure you go on a clear day!! or you won't be able to see the amazing views.

St.Michaels Mount at Marazion

The Minac Theatre, Porthcurno

St.Ives - i would go to Carbis Bay and park up (it's a lot quieter here) and catch the little train into St.Ives - you get amazing scenerey and no hassle with the parking!

I'm sure the others on here will also come in with lots more fab places to visit.

Caz :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

I'm no expert on Cornwall, but we love, love love Bude, and the surrounding area. Yes, it can get busy in the season, but less so than Newquay I think. Explore, enjoy and don't be scared to head off the beaten track and just follow your nose. The ice-creams are fab, and don't forget Devon, just next door!!! My personal favourite is the North coast of both counties to the south coast, and I'd always follow your instincts - some places really are lovely, with a bit of a 'time-warp' feel to them, and some are so pretentious they'll never see just how 'up themnselves' they are so if you suspect a rip off, move on - there's almost certainly a far nicer place with more genuine people round the corner! All the best, and fingers crossed for glorious weather. When the sun's shining, you can't beat it!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

We love Perranporth, which is on the north coast and not too far from Newquay

Lancashire
Level Contributor
330 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

We have more or less always based ourselves about 10 miles from Newquay. I'm not a fan of Newquay but there is a fabulous beach there called Lusty Glaze which we love. Also the south coast of Cornwall is equally accessible. The small fishing town of Mevagissey is close by as is the Eden Project, Padstow. Perranporth Beach is good but big.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

Hi there

You might want to consider a day or two in southeast Cornwall - you have the lovely harbour towns of Mevagissey and Fowey , both close to St Austell as is the little port of Charlestown where you will see square rigger ships being overhauled. The Lost Gardens of Heligan are close to Mevagissey and the Eden Project is just a few miles outside St Austell.

Polperro is a must-see as well - a lovely, working fishing village with tiny, narrow streets, cosy pubs, some great places to eat and a wonderful atmosphere.

yorkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

Hi,

I would recommend St.Ives holiday park at Hayle.We are returning for our fourth year this summer as it has the best beach and wonderful scenery. There is a large conservatory, where you can buy snacks,drinks etc,then sit outside on the decking area overlooking the sea while enjoying the lovely sunsets.Evertyhing you need is on the site including a well stocked shop and a laundrette.This site is an excellent base for exploring the surrouding areas. Plenty of castles, galleries and more than a few lovely beaches to visit.Hope I have been some help.Wherever you decide to visit I am sure you will have a lovely time.

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

I love St Ives, there's something for everyone there. However parking is at a park and ride out of the town cos the town was built before cars were invented. I would suggest you split your stay between two places then you spend less time in the car, eg half in St Ives, the other half on the north coast.

8. Re: Summer holiday in Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 09:18