We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short cut to st ives

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
short cut to st ives

we visit St Ives every Whitsun week as it is my favourite place on earth but we dread the journey. Living in the midlands we start out at about 6am and generally arrive between 3-4p.m due to the horrendous traffic on the A30. Somebody told me about getting off A30 and rejoining further down to avoid the bottleneck. Does anybody know which way??

I am hoping that everyone will now read it and I,ll have straight run thru!! ( ONLY JOKING )

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: short cut to st ives

Love your sense of humour!

Best bet is to leave even earlier, and get down here for breakfast.

Set the alarm for 4am this year - that's what we did from Oxfordshire - then we took the other option and moved down west!!

Regards Trisha

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short cut to st ives

The A30 is now dual carriageway all the way to the Truro turn off, hopefully this will ease the traffic problem.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short cut to st ives

Have they dualled through Temple since I left? Well done!

I can't think of any diversion that will help you make better time for St Ives though 10 hours from Stafford seems quite a lot. Hopefully the new Victoria bypass will ease some of the pain.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: short cut to st ives

Hi Cornish pastie

No temple is still single file with the extra lane up the hills, as is the bit further down between the two truro roundabouts (A39 and A390).

The Goss Moor duel carriage way has made a great difference knocking about 10 minutes off our journey up country - but then we always travel at non peak times, so it would be a greater gain in busy times.

Regards Trisha

5. Re: short cut to st ives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:18