We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and ride to St Ives

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Park and ride to St Ives

Can anyone give me info on the park & ride service to St Ives from Lelant - ie prices, is it recommended compared to driving into St Ives & parking at the multi storey at the top?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Hi

According to the info i have its £8 per car and occupants to park and ride.

It is a good idea as car parking in St Ives can be a nightmare,plus the train ride is a treat in its own right,all along the coast. Trains are every half hour at 14 mins past the hour and 44mins to the hour.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Thanks for the info, Badcat - we'll look into it!

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

An alternative to the Lelant park and ride is to drive further in, to the 1000 space car park on the edge of town. You can the get the shuttle bus into the centre (or walk down the hill) and later to return.

Best route is on the ""coach" road via Halsetown - which avoids the busy main road and takes you through the countryside then staright down to the car park. As you come down the hill into town turn right at the first roundabout.

There is a map on my St Ives website here:

http://www.onestives.co.uk/travelroad.html

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

The train ride is fabulous though and is a treat in itself. I love the train ride. I've bought a Day Ranger ticket before now and gone up and down the line a few times (partly because the train I went for didn't stop at Carbis Bay on that journey). The guy on the train had a look at our tickets twice and then left us alone then :-)

Suzi

East Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Thanks Steve, we've always used the big car park at the top, but just wondered whether it was worth taking the train this time. We've now got some family coming to visit us whilst we are away & thought it would be nice to visit St Ives with them.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Thanks Suzi, as mentioned above with us visiting with family (7 in total) - we now think it may just be easier to take the car for 2 trips to the car park, I'm thinking that it may be too difficult to make 2 trips to the station as I understand the fee is for the car park & train tickets?

St Ives
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Using the park and ride for 7 will cost £4.40 for the 2 cars plus £20 for the train tickets if the 3 in the second car can't have half-price tickets like the occupants of the 'full car' and £14 if they can. Parking 2 cars for a day in Trenwith Car Park will be about £11, plus say a couple of quid for petrol.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Sorry Beachyboo, I hadn't realised there were going to be seven of you. It would be far easier to use the car park then, and cheaper, I totally agree. When you are down there and you don't have your extended family with you then you might get chance to do the train ride.

Suzi

East Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

Thanks everyone - on reflection I agree that we would be much better off with hubby using our car as a "shuttle" and using the pay & display. My youngest is mad on trains so we thought he would love to go in it, although as Suzi has said, we'll probably use the Park & Ride on another day when it's just the one car. Thanks again!

10. Re: Park and ride to St Ives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 05:17