We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

I have just read through 2 (long) lists of hotels/b&b's but they seemed to cover a large area - even some in other towns close to St. Ives.

We will arrive by train with 2 carry-on wheeled bags. We need to find a nice cheery lodging quite close-by the station and restaurants. We are older (in our 70's) and my husband has a knee that won't bend very much so we are hoping to find lodging on a ground floor. We can walk just fine - it's the getting up and down that is the problem. Our top price is 100 pounds, all in, including breakfast and VAT. (Hopefully less!)

From all the posts that I have read, it sounds like there will be hills to contend with and that might be difficult with our luggage.

We hope to stay 3 or 4 nights and have found the website of a bus that has a good schedule so that we can see some other areas as well.

Can you help with lodging suggestions - given our limitations?

Thanks.

Will and Carol

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

chycor.co.uk/bnb/stives-seaforth/index.htm

this one is very close to bus and railway stations. I've never stayed there so can't vouch for it, but looks ok on the website. It says from £40 per person per night, so might be within budget.

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Annabelle's suggestion is a good one, Seaforth is a great little B & B and is a 350 yard walk from the train. 25 yards nearer still (from the train station) are The Regent and The Rookery, which are also very good and would be equally suitable and within your budget. Any of these 3 would be perfect for your needs.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Annabelle and The PastyMan,

Thank you for your recommendations and I have sent an email inquiry to all 3 places.

Do either of you have a link for a good walking map of St. Ives? It sounds as if we will be very happy with fish and chips, creme teas, and of course, the Pasties! We had one at the Hidden Gardens which we were driven to on a trip from Falmouth and it was delicious - but not big enough since I had to share it with my husband.

Do you have a favorite place? And a pub? We enjoy wine and beer with our food.

And one more question about the weather in September and October? I guess the answer is going to be "layer, layer, layer"! But as a rule, is it still pleasant or should we expect rainy chilly weather? We were at Falmouth in April and that is what we expected and it was just a glorious day weather-wise. One never knows about the weather anymore.

Thanks again,

Carol (Will gave the typing chore to me)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

I usually think the weather in September is still quite warm, and once the chidren have gone back to school it usually picks up for some reason! But like everywhere in the UK, it is changable so be prepared for anything, hopefully not snow though.

As I live in Norht Cornwall, I'm not down that way enough really to have a favourite pub as such, but I have never had a bad meal at the Norway Inn, between Truro and Falmouth, and I do like Marazion, there's a pub there called the Railway, with a conservatory out the back with fantastic views out over Mounts Bay that serves ok pub food.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186243-i848-k27…

this is a thread about the best pasties in St Ives, quite a lot of differing opinions, but you could try all of them and then tell us what you think!

Hope you get your accommodation sorted

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Hello Carol

The weather could be anything at all (except snow) but the odds are that it will be pleasant. As for a map of St Ives, this is not bad http://www.pznow.co.uk/locplace1/stives8.html for showing the town's layout, and the bus station, where you will be within a feeble stone's throw of at any of those 3 B & B's.

Favourite places ? I love the Porthcurno and Sennen area. You can easily go there by taking the Cornwall Explorer 300. It leaves from the bus station and you can get full details of all the stops from the Tourist Information Centre, in Street an Pol (shown on that map). I wouldn't bother with Land's End - it's a theme park now, unremarkable other than it just happens to be the bit of coast that sticks out nearer to America than any other.

I also adore anywhere along the Helford Passage, but I'm not sure how to do these on public transport, and you may have done this while you were at Falmouth. My favourite pub is the Pandora Inn at Restronguet Creek - unbeatable on a warm evening, and damn good in any weather.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 15:37
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Annabelle,

Well, bad news from the Seaforth - I got email from today saying that their ground floor room was booked the dates involved - and didn't mention any other possibilities.

Thanks for the thread about the pasties! I had read one about the creme teas - I've read through quite a lot - and enjoyed the comments.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

PastyMan,

Thanks for the link of the map! Believe me, if I'm pitching the rock, it will be a feeble toss! Now, Will is still fit and if you see him walking about, you would never guess about the knee, unless he is trying to rise from a low place.

A man from Truro took us (very rapid pace) to:

the Lost Gardens of Heligan Trelissnick, St. Mawes, Fowey, and the most beautiful little church/chapel but can't think where it was - Rose Hill? We walked around in Trellisnick and had a pasty at Lost Gardens - but not time enough to walk around. It was my fault. So greedy to see all we could - but saw just enough to want more! That's one reason we are coming back - we have stayed in Barnstaple with penfriends years ago and they drove us along the north coast - stopped at Clovelly of course, but they say the same thing (even back then) about Land's End so we didn't go that far. But Cornwall has captured my heart.

The Cornwall Explorer sounds like just the ticket for us. This is why I come to TA when planning a trip! Nothing like the correspondence with locals.

I'm not sure where the Helford passage is - but will look it up.

The pub rec by the Fodor's book is the Sloop Inn. Any comments?

Oh yes, reading about the Porthminster sounds lovely. Would that be a good area to stay?

I've heard from the Regent and the Seaforth with no good news - but haven't heard from the Rookery yet. I hope I didn't portray us as too dismal and needy so that I scared them off! We're really quite nice and very flexible. It's just getting him up what sometimes are very steep narrow stairs. Ah well, something will turn up - it always does!

Carol

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Carol, fingers crossed for the Rookery then! I think the churchyard you mentioned would have been St Just in Roseland, indeed a very beautiful place.

St Ives
Level Contributor
381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

Carol

If no luck with The Rookery try Skidden House. It's as near-as-dammit the same location as the others, and although it is on (lower) Skidden Hill, which is fairly steep, it's only a very short hill back to the buses (35 yards). There'll be no problem on arrival as you'll be going down it, and if it proves too steep to climb (which I very much doubt) this can be circumnavigated by using Street-an-Pol and the gentler Tregenna Hill for getting to the bus station. And being lower than the others makes it slightly easier for town centre, harbour etc. Oh, it's very nice accommodation too.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed for Lodging in St. Ives in September

I'm taking a bit of a break as it's our July 4th Independence Weekend - but I'll read everything and be back in a couple of days.

Carol