We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark attack

Merseyside
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Shark attack

According to today's Daily Mirror a fishermans boat was attacked by a White tip shark off St Ives while mackerel fishing. Does anyone think it will be safe for my wife and I when we come down in October I dont want to paddle with the thought about eaten alive.Should I cancel now?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark attack

Absolutely. You should never venture outside your house again.

Level Contributor
3,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark attack

Its the end of the world.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark attack

Gawd no, definitely don't put even your big toe in ..... those Noahs are lurking there, circling, just waiting, waiting, waiting .....

However, I do recall swimming on the south coast of NSW many, many years ago when the shark siren went off .... I'll swear to my dying day I managed to run on water, I got out of the surf so quickly LOL

Edited: 14 June 2011, 07:39
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark attack

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Make sure you don't venture into the water and you'll be fine.

Suzi

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark attack

Also watch out if you go too close to the sea wall walking along the prom, you never know!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark attack

Interesting image of someone being eaten alive while paddling.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark attack

I think you should cancel but let your wife go. Make sure that you pack those cute fish head flip flops you got her for christmas and that she is well insured.

You will be set for life and can sell your story of how a shark ate your wife to OK magazine.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark attack

Assuming you're being serious:

1. There have always been sharks off the Cornish coast

2. Remind when the last fatal shark attack occurred off Cornwall

3. If you can still paddle whilst a mile offshore, you'll be far too big to be bothered by a 7 foot shark

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark attack

I remember when a child, a long long long time ago, I watched a batman film. As he was climbing up a ladder a shark jumped out of the water to try and get him. Off his belt he used his shark repellant spray. I am sure if you look on the internet you will find some, batman would never make something up. You can then swim to your hearts content with the spray attached to your trunks and as soon as one comes...spray, shark gone and carry on swimming. After a few days the sharks will realise not to attack you again and you can save the spray until next year so it is worth the investment.

Mick

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark attack

mickt

We have a winner, folks!

Get answers to your questions about St Ives