We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions

Hi there,

I've visited St Ives many times before, however, not for a while and not in the same circumstances as now, we arrive on Saturday (can't wait!), I wondered if anyone can help with the following questions?

1. Where is the best place to catch the sunset - both just 'out and about' and any restaurant places, I was thinking Porthmeor, both the beach and the beach cafe?

2. Pasties! - I'm taking someone who's never been to Cornwall or had a pasty! - Where would you say the best ones are? We usually go to the 'red place' (I think Cornish bakehouse perhaps). Are there nicer ones?

3. Cream tea - which place does the best one? - The white place on the Wharf? - That used to be one of the good if not best ones!

4. Supermarkets - are there any new ones or is it just the co-op ones? - What would be closest to Porthmeor beach (that's basically where we're staying).

5. Porthminster Beach - does it still have the beach BBQ bring your own thing? If so, when?!

6. Afternoon tea - does anywhere in the town do a nice one?! (or should we just stick to cream teas!)

7. Luggage facilities - is there anywhere we can leave our luggage on our final day, for say 5-6 hours or so?

8. Deserts! - I see lots of places with very nice food, is there anywhere known for amazing deserts?!

9. How busy - at this time of year, i.e. the weekend and the week ahead, will we likely need to book places for dinner for two or will most places be 'okayish' - I know August and a family is a very different story!

10. Romance! - What would people say are the most romantic spots, both 'places' and restaurants. I have my own thoughts here but I'm curious as to other people's suggestions.

I didn't realise that would end up 10 questions! If you've read this far, thanks!

Thanks in advance for replies :)

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions

Well here's my two'pennerth

1. Where is the best place to catch the sunset - both just 'out and about' and any restaurant places, I was thinking Porthmeor, both the beach and the beach cafe?

I agree Porthmeor beach and cafe for best sunsets.

2. Pasties! - I'm taking someone who's never been to Cornwall or had a pasty! - Where would you say the best ones are? We usually go to the 'red place' (I think Cornish bakehouse perhaps). Are there nicer ones?

Ferrels? bakers on Fore Street...or I quite like Pasty Presto at the other end of Fore St.

3. Cream tea - which place does the best one? - The white place on the Wharf? - That used to be one of the good if not best ones!

Don't do Cream Teas, sorry.

4. Supermarkets - are there any new ones or is it just the co-op ones? - What would be closest to Porthmeor beach (that's basically where we're staying).

Just the Co-ops in town. There is a Tesco toeards Carbis Bay but you would need to drive. We get most of our stuff from Norway Stores in Downalong.

5. Porthminster Beach - does it still have the beach BBQ bring your own thing? If so, when?!

Can't help sorry.

6. Afternoon tea - does anywhere in the town do a nice one?! (or should we just stick to cream teas!)

Again...sorry!

7. Luggage facilities - is there anywhere we can leave our luggage on our final day, for say 5-6 hours or so?

I think the TIC have facilities.

8. Deserts! - I see lots of places with very nice food, is there anywhere known for amazing deserts?!

LOL...sorry...don't do deserts either. The Ice Cream places like Moomaid are supposed to be awesome.

9. How busy - at this time of year, i.e. the weekend and the week ahead, will we likely need to book places for dinner for two or will most places be 'okayish' - I know August and a family is a very different story!

I would try and book to be safe

10. Romance! - What would people say are the most romantic spots, both 'places' and restaurants. I have my own thoughts here but I'm curious as to other people's suggestions.

All of St Ives :)

I didn't realise that would end up 10 questions! If you've read this far, thanks!

Thanks in advance for replies :)

Hope some of this helps and have a great stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions

Thanks for the replies Pete, I'll certainly search out those pasty recommendations for sure!!

Yeah I think I may have to stick to Norway stores or Co-Op.

Cheers

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions

Hi

I'll do my best to answer:-

Porthmeor Beach Cafe/Porthmeor Beach

You need to get out of St Ives and go to Philp's at Hayle or Marazion. The ones in St Ives just don't come close and I don't eat them.

Sorry, cream teas aren't my thing at all.

No new ones. Island Stores might still be there otherwise the Co-ops and TESCO. Other than the pasties, that's the only other time I use the car. I go to Morrisons at PZ. There is now a Sainsbury's too but you probably know that anyway.

No idea. I have always stayed out of town to have a parking space. Stay at Carbis Bay normally.

No idea, see above for cream teas.

I am not sure about this. I think there is a post about this but not sure it came up with the goods. I will have a look after and see if anyone else has answered/knows.

Yes, Seagrass Restaurant do amazing desserts. I always try not to eat one, being female and not trying to take in too many calories, however, miss a dessert there and miss out. I always have a dessert there.

You may well be there already. I think it will be pretty busy but not as bad as the week after and the rest of the School holidays. Maybe book a day or so in advance if you like the look of somewhere just in case to see if you can get in or not.

Most romantic places for me are St Nicholas Chapel on The Island at sunset, a table at Ocean Grill Restaurant (sea view and good food) a table at Seagrass Restaurant (no sea view but excellent ambience and great food).

Porthminster Point - a bit of an uphill walk from St Ives and across the railway line, however, when you get there it is beautiful and quiet and you can watch all the St Ives boats in the bay.

The Malakoff - an amazing view out over the town, over to Hayle/Gwithian, Carbis Bay and Lelant. Lovely in the evening as the sun is going down. A nice place to sit with your love and listen to the sea. The benches at the end of Lambeth near the St Ives Institute are also a nice place to sit with the sound of the sea there. Lovely and quiet in the evening. I guess it depends what you want. I love Carbis Bay for the same reason.

If you are there now, I hope the weather is great and that you are having a fab time.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions

Here's the information about the Left Luggage for you:-

stivestic.co.uk/visitor-information/tourist-…

Of course, I meant Norway Stores in my post and not Island Stores. Having a mad moment there.

Suzi

UK
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions

The Beachcomber Cafe on the wharf does that best cream tea IMO, is that where you meant? Enormous scones.

St.Ives
Level Contributor
245 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions

Best pasties are Farrells, end of Fore St., near the wharf post office.

Join thd Pool club in the harbour for a week and have excellent scrambled egg and sit as long as you like gazing over the harbour.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions

Best pasties I've ever eaten in Cornwall are made by Pengenna bakers in St Ives High St - roughly opposite Boots. Made on the premises - you can watch them being made - and oozing with filling, plenty of meat, and good, light, pastry. But they are crimped 'hogs back' so they may not qualify as genuine Cornish!

england
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions

zombie thread - OP has long gone

Edited: 06 January 2015, 20:33
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions

Maybe - but the information still comes in handy for others!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions

Maybe - but the information still comes in handy for others!