We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

Hi Readers,

My wife and I visited St Ives yesterday and after a frustrating period of trying to find a parking space in the some many car parks around the town, we saw a sign offering parking and a 'park and ride' service from St Ives Rugby Football Club so went to check it out and found it to be an absolute winner!

Parked up straight away and boarded a waiting bus which set off immediately for a 5 minute journey to Porthmeor Beach the ride offering what the driver described as the best approach views of all the directions, and he was right.

Dropped us right by the beach and you return from the same point.

Service has 3 buses which run every 15 minutes up until 8pm (don't know what time it starts). £5 a day to park (£3 after 4pm) & £1 per head on the bus.

The driver told us there is always space available to park as the land they have is extensive. Driver was extremely helpful and informative, I wish I'd have got his name to give him a mention here.

Highly Recommended.

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

There is an even more romantic, if pricy, way to arrive now. Park and Sail from Hayle to St Ives

http://stivesboatrides.co.uk/park-and-ride/

England
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

Thanks for that info. The ground is in Alexandra Road. TR26 1ER

Another way in which has been recomended is take the train from Lelant Saltings Park and Ride.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 13:50
England
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

Looking at the map Porthmeor Beach looks at lot closer to the town centre than the railway station which might suit us better as one of us is short of a leg and can't walk that far. What do you think please?

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

The same as you, looking at the map Porthmeor Beach looks slightly closer to the centre.

We didn't go near the station so I can't really give a feel for distance but what info I can say relating to your question is that the walk from the drop off point to the centre/harbour was along a series of cobblestone back streets of varing gradients but nothing too heavy going.

Hope this helps.

England
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

cheers

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

The walk from Porthmeor to the harbour is virtually flat, and what a lovely walk it is too.

Durham
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

Hi we have just arrived home from cornwall. The advice about parking at the rugby club is spot on. perfect. We tried the Saltings park and ride but couldn't park it was full.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

Park and Ride is very good you park at Lelant Saltings, follow A30, A3074 (Nut Lane), and Left into The Saltings (it seems like you are going into a housing estate and does not seem right but stay with it). £2.50 for day parking, Short train ride away very seenic rout which is worth it of itself. The price depends on weather it is single return or day rover. Last train back 22:30 however this does not give enough time if you want to seen the ghost walk. This time may be earlier after the end of September.

9. Re: Recommend 'Park and Ride' service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations