We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mobile phone signal ?????

London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best mobile phone signal ?????

Can anyone help? Last year whilst staying in Tintagel I could not get a signall on my mobile phone at all. I'm with Virgin Mobile. Can anyone tell what is the best network to use? I am returning in June this year and would like to use my phone. Thanks for any replies.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

I visit Devon & Cornwall quite regularly, I'm with O2, mostly I don't have a problem, but particularly in Cornwall there are some bad reception areas, don't think you can avoid some problems, but O2 has reasonable coverage in most places.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

We have Orange and seems to work in most of the village as far as I can tell although I lose the signal when walking down the track to the castle in the valley but regain it once you climb up a bit!

We do have different strength signals when moving about our house but no problems normally.

My next door neighbour has to go outside to get a signal but I am not sure who he is with.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

I think the main thing coming out is that reception is patchy. I have a friend who lives there who can't get any reception downstairs, but can sometimes get a signal upstairs. That's on Orange.

Okehampton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

Hi.Sunny.

A big issue with the local area is the Terrain where the village as a whole is covered by the Orange network and gives a good coverage to the whole village up to Bossiney, however, as soon as you go off the beaten track there is Nothing even if the coverage map says there is

…orange.co.uk/ouk/…

There are two mobile phone masts, one up by Bossiney cove and the other at the far end of Tintagel. Orange now shares cell sites with T-Mobile (but never used Tmobile) and should now work up there Virgin piggy back with O2 and as far as I know there is no O2 mast there but I remember getting a signal but not as good as Orange.

So long and short of it is, for your stay as long as you have an unlocked phone pick up a free Orange sim and use that

You can get FREE sim cards from the orange website here

http://freesim.orange.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

I'm afraid I have never had a decent signal in Cornwall- as others have said it's very patchy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

Thank you so much for the advice. I will pick up an Orange sim card before I go. Thanks again.

Fuzhou, China
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

Thank you so much for the advice. I will pick up an Orange sim card before I go. Thanks again. <a href="http://www.gucci-chaussures.com" title="">Achat Chaussures Gucci pas cher</a>

Edited: 25 April 2011, 07:46
Ilfracombe
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

My partners gone away to Tintagel and doesn't look like there's no signal lol. We are with 3 mobile.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

One of the best things about Cornwall, patchy phone signal, my battery ran out on day 2 and stayed that way for 2 weeks.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best mobile phone signal ?????

I find T-Mobile/Orange works best in the area....I've known people with other networks hanging out of windows trying to get a signal!!

But I totally agree with chappers.....lol

Fi