We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

derelict house below Camelot Castle

canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
derelict house below Camelot Castle

On a recent visit to Tintagel, we walked down the cliff path beside Camelot Castle and saw a house which obviously had been derelict for some time. It had no access other than the footpath we came down, and we wondered why and how it had been built in the first place. It had been a good sized house at one time, and not that old....so being the curious creatures we are, would love to know if anyone knows it's history.

34 replies to this topic
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

We were told that it was once the generator house for the King Arthurs Castle Hotel, now called Camelot.

It was owned by Kate Winslet (Titanic) for a couple of years and she mixed in well with the village and is a very nice person. It was in good condition then and had been lived in for many years.

It has been abandoned for a good many years now and after part of the roof came off in a storm it got worse and worse. Several squatters and low lifes moving in did not help either!

The last I heard a couple of years ago was that an American had bought it and was going to rebuild it but that could be the usual village gossip and should be taken with a shovelfull of salt!

cambridge
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

It housed the Hotel engineer back in it's heyday. It is true that Kate Winslet owned it briefly, but she never lived there. It is in a stunning position and will make an amazing place when the owner (English) pulls his finger out or sells it on to someone who cares!

In the last 10 years it has been sold 3 times, It's name is Castle Minor

24/05/01 £337,000

when Kate Winslet purchased it

less than a year later she sold it. Some say due to the owners of a certain Hotel!!!!

30/04/02 £355,000

The sold on again.

27/07/03 £570,000

In the 8 years since then nothings been done and the £570,000 investment is slowly and sadly crumbeling away as each winter passes!

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Never realised Kate Winslet did not live in it and wonder where she stayed when she was here.

I have not seen it for some time and will make a point of going this weekend and have a look and will tell let you know what it is like.

cambridge
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

I was thinking of heading down with my camera next time i'm in the area!

seen the latest reviews for Camelot Castle what a joke that place is! lol

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Funny how most of the GOOD reviews have only ever done 1!

Mind you I have only done one too!

canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Clanline.....if you do go this weekend, is it possible for you to take a picture and post it here? I was so amazed at seeing a house in such a remote spot, I forgot to take a picture of it.

Also....our big question is...How on earth would they have got materials down there to build it in the first place? Was there ever some sort of road or rough track for vehicles? Surely they didnt use the footpath we came down....

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

There is a road of sorts which vehicles can get down and it branches off from the footpath through a large gate which may not even be there now!

It is sometime since I walked the dog that way

I will go later and take a photo for you but have no idea as yet how to put it in this site! If you know let me know!

If I cannot manage it I can always email it to you.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 05:18
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

I had a look around the place today and although it looks OK from the distance it is a bit of a mess close up but not beyond saving in my opinion.

It could do with a few tiles on the roof and a lick of paint!!!!

The roadway is overgrown to the place but it would still be possible to get a vehicle to it.

Here is a link to some photos I took which hopefully will work!

https:/…

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

Great pictures Clanline, it's been an interesting topic and to actually see the house is brilliant. Thanks for posting.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: derelict house below Camelot Castle

What a shame such a beautiful place should go to ruin like that. Now I wonder what I could do with that one?

Reply to: derelict house below Camelot Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted