We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get in anywhere !!!

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
534 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Can't get in anywhere !!!

Having recently aquired a new puppy we decided to visit the Lake District as we enjoyed it so much last year. Unfortunately we want the half term break and cannot find any dog friendly lodge or cottage for the week as they are all fully booked.

I have found a lodge based at Greystoke and was wondering if this is too far from the National Park or does anyone know anywhere else we could try; would appreciate any help as I am desperate to go back to the Lake District (hubby and daughter are happy to go back to Pembrokeshire where we normally go !)

many thanks, Anna

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't get in anywhere !!!

Bassenthwaite Lakeside Lodges were showing some availability, not far from Keswick, saying that Greystoke is only about a 20 minute drive from Keswick so as long as you dont mind a little drive it would be fine for the Northern & Western Lakes

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't get in anywhere !!!

Greystoke is a little off the beaten track (and will therefore be much quieter than the honeypots of Windermere et al), and as Mark says Keswick is easily reached. Pooley Bridge and Ullswater are not too far away either and there are lovely walks in that area. I'm sure I've seen dogs on the Ullswater Steamer (boat trip on Ullswater), which makes a nice day out if you get off at Glenridding for a walk and lunch, then get the boat back later on.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't get in anywhere !!!

Keswick generally is very dog friendly - most of the pubs welcome them Try the Keswick Lodge - but lots of Keswick hotels welcome pups.

You can take dogs on all the ferries in the lakes. Most don't charge, but a few cost an extra £1.

Ambleside is nice - try the Waterhead Hotel or any of the ELH hotels - www.elh.co.uk.

We find the Lakes much more dog friendly than North Wales - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
605 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't get in anywhere !!!

As a resident of Keswick I often feel in a minority NOT having a at least one dog.

Keswick and I am sure the majority of the Lakes is dog friendly.

5. Re: Can't get in anywhere !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:17