We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter tours of Lakes District

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
561 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter tours of Lakes District

We (wife & I) will be staying 5 nights at Broughton-in-Furness in May and are interested in doing a tour over the Lakes District - about 1 hour. Googling I found a few different operators but some seem to be operating from a long way off (eg Blackpool), so I'm guessing a lot of the hour would be spent getting to/from the Lakes District.

Any advice on operators who are local - so we spend most of the time in the air actually over the Lakes District?

Thanks

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter tours of Lakes District

Found this one on Google for the Lake District (no S):

experiencemad.co.uk/details/nmc/index.php…

According to website flights depart from Kendal.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter tours of Lakes District

I'm not aware of any regular helicopter trips over the Lake District, when walking the fells the only helicopters i've seen regularly are RAF search rescue, Cumbria air ambulance and the helicopter which was flown by the owner of Honister slate mine (RIP) The one mentioned earlier only flies over Windermere and then very infrequently.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter tours of Lakes District

Thanks folks - I hadn't found Experiencemad but notice their flight from Kendal is only 15 minutes and on offer once/month.

Looks like the Blackpool & Carlisle operators may be my best options after all.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter tours of Lakes District

I am based in Kendal and am not aware of helicopter tours from here.

All I would say is "please don't!". I don't doubt it's a great way to see the area and the magnificence of the Lake District, but at what cost? Whilst you're up there gazing down, there are many thousands of walkers out and about enjoying the tranquillity that makes our countryside so special. It would be a shame to spoil that.

Have you considered paragliding? :)

5. Re: Helicopter tours of Lakes District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:18