We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25/3/13 passover

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
25/3/13 passover

we will be in berrier at the end of march.

someone know jewish family in the area, so we can do together the passover?

thanks avi

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,431 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Sorry, this gentile cannot help you with an individual family. However I did find this which has links to Jewish communities and synagogues throughout the UK, listed by county.

jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/england_geographic.htm

Edited: 17 February 2013, 10:39
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Greetings from Israel.

I had a look at the site given by wirewiper and was amazed to see some of the places listed, until I clicked on them. Whitehaven is in Cumbria, but it makes an appearance on this list only because Jews were mentioned there in 1874.

I am originally from England (London) and I can tell you that the chances of finding any Jewish families in Cumbria is slim, and the chances that they are reading this forum is just about zero. However, Jews are found in the most unlikely places, and you never know.

Oh, and I hadn't heard of Berrier. It turns out it's a tiny village.

I suggest you write to the Jewish Chronicle:

http://www.thejc.com/contact

With luck they will print your letter and someone might see it.

Best of luck, and חג שמח

Edited: 17 February 2013, 11:01
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Why not contact the Diocese for the Church of England in nearby Carlisle

They will be able to put you in touch with leaders of other faiths

http://www.carlislediocese.org.uk/

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Try to seek thru Habbad or Shuvu orgs. I have travelled to Lake District twice, both times met nice Jewish people. I do remember them beeing local. There are Jews in Carlisle, Bowness and Keswick for sure. Those from Carlisle were "kipot srugot"!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,708 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Avi, while these suggestions could work, don't count on it.

And something else... you are NOT going to find any kosher-for-Passover food out there in the wilds, or even any local residents who know what it is. I am assuming you are not strictly observant (if you were, you would realise that this is mission impossible). You will not be able to buy matzot locally - the nearest place where they are available will most probably be Manchester.

It's one thing to go off the beaten track during the rest of the year, but Passover is a different matter entirely. Just so you go into this with your eyes open, and no high hopes. The "kippot srugot" that Yuri found living in Carlisle most likely get their kosher food from Manchester or London.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Shuffaluf is right, you better get well ogranized for your own Seder, where ever you may be on that night. Since it is strictly forbidden to bring food into UK, plan for shopping while in London. For now: Hag Purim sameah from Netanya!!!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 25/3/13 passover

Hi Avi,

I too am up here and wondering what to do (will be in Carlisle), let me know what you discover?

All Best,

David

8. Re: 25/3/13 passover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 13:15