We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay near Sudbury

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay near Sudbury

My husband and I are flying into Manchester early morning May 19. We are renting a car and driving to Lyme Park (nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…) that day, whose address is Disley, Stockport, Cheshire SK12 2NX. The next day, we want to visit Sudbury Hall (nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…), whose address is Sudbury, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 5HT. Then the next day, we're driving down to the Cotswolds and staying put for several days.

So, we need someplace to stay near Sudbury Hall those first two nights. We would prefer to stay in the same place both nights, rather than stay at one place near Lyme Park, then get up the next morning and drive to Sudbury, then stay at a new place that night. Two nights in one place sounds much more enjoyable. But if you think this is a bad idea (too much driving the first day?) I'd appreciate the advice.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay near Sudbury? Any type of place will do, though we're partial to b&b. We would like to keep the price under 70 pounds total per night, but can go higher for a special place. Something convenient to the roads we would take either from Lyme Park or to the Cotswolds would be great.

To get a visual representation of the places we plan on going in our trip, see my CommunityWalk map that I'm building:

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/17501

Thanks,

Zoe

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

I wouldn't worry about having too much driving on the first day - Manchester airport to Disley to somewhere near Sudbury isn't really very far at all. It's much less distance than the journey down from Sudbury to the Cotswolds, fwiw

If you drive from Disley towards Sudbury through Buxton and Ashbourne, you're going through the Peak District National Park which is not only beautiful, but a pretty big holiday area, so there are lots of accommodation options - probably many more than around Sudbury itself

I don't have any specific recommendations, but try Ashbourne - there are tons of B&Bs in and around this town

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

Manchester Airport to Lyme Hall is about 20 miles. You may be able to avoid the M56 & M60 (3 lanes dual carriageway) by heading out onto the A34 and cutting across to the the A6 (mostly one lane single carriageway). After getting the car, with finding your way etc this should take 40 to 60 minutes. Lyme Hall is on the south side of the A6 so you have to look out for the entrance on the right.

After visiting the hall, you can turn left to Hazel Grove then Macclesfield Leek and Ashbourne. A prettier route would be to turn right and go through Buxton to Ashbourne, you go across higher wilder country. Either way it is 50-60 miles though Ashbourne to Sudbury, a couple of hours driving.

Pintpot is right. In and just north of Ashbourne (round Dovedale) are several good place to stay. Looking at the TripAdvisor hotels, The Peveril of the Peak and the Isaac Walton are the 2 well known hotels, the second of these is quite high priced. The Quality Inn is OK although the rooms can be a little small, it does have a nice pool. Callow Hall is a very nice country house with good food but higher than your price band, maybe go there for dinner one night. The Dog and Partridge at Swinscoe has a good view from the dining room to the West and does nice coffee but the rooms are crammed into the grounds a bit. On balance in the Ashbourne area I would recommend the Peveril of the Peak for its location and price but please read the feedback which is varied. Of the TripAdvisor B&Bs, Bank House and Thorpe Cottage sound nice, the second of these is in the nicest place.

Looking closer to Sudbury you may want to consider the Dog & Partridge at Tutbury which is an old village pub that does good food, or Riversholme in Rocester - I don't know it but the position and reviews are good.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

It looks like we are going to stay at Bassett Wood Farm B&B, near Ashbourne (Tissington, to be exact):

http://www.bassettwoodfarm.co.uk/

Unless anyone has heard anything negative about it? Looks pretty charming, and the proprietor responded to my email promptly and cheerfully.

Thanks so much for the driving recommendations as well as pointers on good places to eat!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

Last Sunday the main road was under repair at Macclesfield so the Buxton road might be better if you are coming soon and travelling at busy times.

Tissington is a good choice as it is a nice village with little through traffic, a cafe, a nice old Hall which is open occasionally and access to the Tissington trail for walking. The road out to the East goes through a ford which makes the driving a bit more exciting.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

We're not coming until May, but it sounds like the Buxton road is nicer anyway, so we'll plan on taking that. You've reminded me, though, to check out the roads immediately before we depart to make sure they're all still open.

Glad to hear that Tissington is nice. We'll be there during their well dressing, which sounds really interesting as well. It's always fun to get to see these little pieces of local unique culture.

Thanks for the info,

Zoe

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

The website for Bassett Woods shows on the location map a pink dotted line marking a footpath to the village of Fenney Bentley. There is a nice old pub here called the Bentley Brook which in my opinion does good food. If the weather is fine you might walk this distance, altough it will go dark by about 9 pm regarding your journey back.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

Thanks again BigDave!

Your comment about the weather reminds me -- what type of weather should I be expecting for this time of year and in this area? I know there are multiple web sites that give you general information about the weather in England, but it would be helpful to have more specific info about this specific area and time.

Thanks,

Zoe

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

Its getting a bit harder to forecast weather, although one of the delights of England is that it normally changes every few days so that in 2 weeks holiday you are more or less guaranteed some rain and some sun. I have a former colleague in Lauren SC who likes to email me with the temperature, just before Christmas he had 68F and I had about 40.

Generally May in Derbyshire will be quite warm by my judgement, so wear a shirt and a light jacket. There may be a heatwave in which case wear just the shirt. If there is rain add a waterproof. Thick trousers like Chinos may be too hot. I hope this helps.

9. Re: where to stay near Sudbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 10:37
Get answers to your questions about Derbyshire
Recent Conversations