We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Forest YHA

bristol
2 posts
Save Topic
National Forest YHA

Well, I've just booked a weekend in this YHA for my 30th ( i wanted to go to the peak district but left it too late to find a bunkhouse)

Anyway.. Anyone got ideas of what we can do for the weekend?

I was thinking of a narrowboat for a few hours (is this possible?) Also what are the surrounding pubs like?

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Forest YHA

You are within a couple of miles of the market tosn of Ashby de la Zouche and 5 miles of Calke Abbey with good walks in the grounds. The house opens soon after being closed for the winter, see the National trust website.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Forest YHA

This YHA is ajacent to the Conkers discovery centre. There are short canal trips along the recently restored section of the Ashby canal, but you would not be able to hire a boat on this stretch. The nearest I am aware of is Barrow boating at Barrow on Soar just south of Loughborough. I would agree that Calke is worth a visit. It's not unreasonable to go to the lower peak from here, Dovedale and the Manifold Valley are within reach for a day trip. There are also steam railways at Shackerstone and at Louhborough.

bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: National Forest YHA

Cheers for the replies. I'll look into the narrowboat.

Has anyone on this board stayed at this YHA?

4. Re: National Forest YHA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:28