We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Hi,

My husband has a meeting near Chesterfield on a Thursday morning. We'll either take the train or drive up from London (coming from Canada). Where should we stay? In Chesterfield? I was thinking I could visit the Chesterfield flea market on the Thursday (Sept. 25) if it's on. Is it worth it? We're only staying on night -- the Wednesday -- and would like to stay somewhere nice with a lovely dinner somewhere (it's our 20th anniversary so I'm tagging along on his business trip). I'll have three hours to kill on the Thursday so I'm wondering what to do. I don't think we'll have time to visit Chatsworth, alas, because we have to be back in London for a Friday morning meeting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Gosford, Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Sorry I can't specifically answer any of your questions but just wanted to mention that Bolsover Castle, 6 miles east of Chesterfield, is delightful, small but perfectly formed, with an unintentially hilarious audio commentary included, perfect for a visit if you've only got an hour or two.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Can you be more precise about where the meeting is, without giving too much away ?

There are one or 2 quite good hotels about 5 miles out in each direction and this would also influence advice on trips.

For example if the meeting is near M1 junction 27 I would suggest the Dakota Hotel and Hardwick Hall.

If further west, perhaps the Derwent Dams.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Thanks, BigDave.

From what I can tell, it's in an industrial park in Barlborough, which, I believe is between Chesterfield and Sheffield. My husband will be driving from wherever we're staying, but I won't have a car and don't want to be stranded for three or four hours without something to do.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

If you are in Chesterfield on a Thursday, the Flea Market is definately worth a wander round. it is is in the Market Place and most of the stalls are occupied with all sorts of tat for sale !

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Barlborough is outside my area of knowledge, other than to say it is over towards the former coal-mining area. There is a hotel there apparently, the Ibis Sheffield South, which will be mid price mid range from the Ibis group.

I think your original idea is best unless you want to visit either Hardwick Hall or Bolsover Castle. Choose a hotel you like the sound of in Chesterfield, the top 5 seem well rated at a range of prices, and look at the town. There is a disinctive church with a twisted spire. Note that the Trip Advisor map does not always show hotels in the correct position.

I don't know the restaurants in Chesterfield. If you want to drive out for dinner you could go 10 miles west to Hassop Hall, Fischer's in Baslow which is easier to find, or the Plough at Leadmill near Hathersage. I think all 3 have rooms if you also want to stay there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Thanks for your advice. Will probably stay in Chesterfield and go to the flea market while my husband is at his meeting.

UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Barlborough is a village on the main A619 about 10 miles south east of Chesterfield. It is a residential area with (IMHO) nothing of interest. There is a small pub/restaurant called the DeRodes arms but it's many years since I've been there. It looks reasonable from the outside but nothing special. Another restaurant nearby is Van Dyk's also on the A619 a couple of miles away from Barlborough.

If you want something really special then venturing out into the Peak district towards Chatsworth is your best bet. As well as Big Dave's recommendations, I would recommend Devonshire Arms at Beeley and the Cavendish hotel at Baslow, though Hassop Hall holds a special place for me-we had our wedding reception there. Enjoy your trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Thanks for your input!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

Sorry this is a rather late reply.

I live in Chesterfield and am sure that you'd be able to enjoy 3 hours or so browsing the flea market and mooching around the rest of our small town, including the Crooked Spire church of course. I certainly can!

You may have already booked your hotel by now, but both the Abbeydale and Buckinghams (rated first and second on TripAdvisor) are well within walking distance of the town centre and small hotels. Buckinghams 'one table' restaurant is also highly regarded.

10. Re: One night's stay and restaurant? Chesterfield flea market?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 23:22
Get answers to your questions about Derbyshire
Recent Conversations