We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Warwickshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Hi can anyone recommend good food either english or italian in Casltle Donington please. Either a pub or restaurant.

Thanks,

Donna

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Sorry to be pedantic, but Castle Donington is in Leicestershire!

Most of the pubs are geared to the Donington Park crowd and tend to be nothing special. There are better pubs in Kegworth about three miles away and Sharlow (which IS in Derbyshire). The restaurant at the Priest House Hotel at Kings Mills (about a mile away) is quite high class with prices to match and has an attractive setting on the banks of the River Trent.

However, probably the best pub/restaurant is half way up the hill out of CD towards Donington Park. Unfortunately I can't remember its name but I'm going past there tomorrow so will report back!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

The Donington Manor Hotel is now part of the small Folio group which is serving good food at other locations. It may be worth a try. It is in Castle Donington, nowhere near the Trip Advisor map pin.

The error of location is understandable as Castle Donington addresses have Derby addresses and post codes even though they are actually in Leicestershire.

Warwickshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Hi ,many thanks for that, that would be great. Geography never was my strong point, only took the subject as I had a crush on the teacher ha ha . You should see my map reading!

Thanks again,

Donna

Warwickshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Thank you, at least now I don't feel such a muppet!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

The pub is called the Nags Head and advertises "a superior bistro menu."

Donington Manor is right by the main cross roads in Castle Donington and is an old fashioned sort of place, but may be worth a try.

Don't worry about the county - almost everyone thinks CD and East Midlands Airport are in either Notts or Derby. Leicestershire County Council appreciated this and have erected "Welcome to Leicestershire" signs right outside the airport, even though the county border is a couple of miles away!

Warwickshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

Thats brill, many thanks, will give it a go!

7. Re: pubs/restaurants in castle donington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 12:26