We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tea with a view

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
tea with a view

Does anyone know a place where I can buy afternoon tea for an older relative who doesn't walk well? I'm looking for a place where we can sit outside (or an airy indoor place) and admire a view.

In the past we've been to the Izaak Walton in Dovedale but would love any recommendations others have.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tea with a view

Try the Losehill House Hotel & Spa up in the Hope Valley - good food, fantastic views.....in fact thinking of this I am now planning to head up to the Hope valley this evening now, make the most of the decent weather and go for a ramble

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tea with a view

When it is open, Cresswell Hall near Monsal dale is nice. The view from the level terrace garden at the back is across the Dale, no roads, only a few walkers. The tea may be a bit basic, or it may have changed but the locxation is very good. There is almost level walking from the car park, just a few steps or a longer walk to a slop I think.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tea with a view

Thanks very much both of you. I'm checking these out.

I'm probably being thick but the only mention I can find of Cresswell Hall is a derelict building. Do you have a link?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tea with a view

I'm delighted to report the moors above Hathersage were fantastic tonight - heather just coming into full bloom. And a superb sunset viewed from Stanage Edge. I do love living in Sheffield.....just wish my wife felt the same way, but that's another story ;-)

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tea with a view

Sounds fab - I'm really looking forward to coming up this weekend. :-)

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tea with a view

I have never been inside myself, but the Monsal Head Hotel springs to mind - perhaps others who have eaten there could advise.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tea with a view

Sorry Hickney, make that Cressbrook. There is a website, B&B and Self Catering. Reports vary but the location is very nice.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tea with a view

On 2-3 visits the food at Monsal Head Hotel has been good but on summer weekends the traffic noise, expecially 2 wheelers, can echo round the dining room. There is some outdoor seating further from the road. You can't see the best views from either location.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tea with a view

I'm going up on Thursday night so Monsal Head is a possibility for Friday maybe? Thanks for the suggestion & also lovely Cressbrook.

It's really hard to get my relative to come out as she think she's spoiling our fun because she can't walk. So these suggestions are really welcome. :-)

Bakewell, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tea with a view

Try the Lathkil Inn at Over Haddon - views over Lathkil Dale