We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2005

UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2005

Can anyone recommend a beautiful 4/5 star hotel for Christmas 2005. Please say there must be somewhere!

Thanks!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2005

Not quite 4 star, but My favourite hotel reviewer, Paddy Burt of the UK’s Daily Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk) has three worth visiting

The Peveril of the Peak, Thorpe, Dovedale, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 2AW (01335 350396, www.peverilofthepeak.co.uk), 45 rooms.

The Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Ashopton Road, Bamford, near the Ladybower Reservoir in the High Peak, The Hope Valley, Derbyshire S33 OAZ (01433 651 3610), 14 rooms.

The Waltzing Weasel, New Mills Road, Birch Vale, High Peak SK22 1BT (01663 743402), has eight rooms

You can see all her UK reviews at www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml…

England
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2005

There is only one I can recommend in the Dovedale area. It's only recently opened (July 2005). It's not a hotel, but well worth a visit. It's called Thorpe Cottage Country Guest House. Its been rated by the ETC 5 stars. And its very nice. They do an excellent breakfast. The location is superb, great for walking and the scenery is excellent. We found them on the internet on their website, www.thorpe-cottage.co.uk . Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2005

Suggest you have a look at Maynard Arms Hotel in Grindelford. I've been impressed when I've eaten there and the staff are good. Not actually stayed there but its worth checking out - an ideal location. Baslow Hall Hotel in Baslow is upmarket - and has one of the top restaurants in the UK. Again a good location.

I'm also a fan of Paddy Burt - but was very underwhelmed when I went to the Waltzing Weasel in New Mills. It's only a short drive from where I live; and in my view there are MUCH better locations elsewhere in Derbyshire.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2005

Baslow Hall - www.fischers-baslowhall.co.uk

BJM
Derby, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2005

Riber Hall Hotel near Matlock is a lovely location, beautiful building (Elizabethan I think). Will be pricey though I would imagine - but great for a quiet Xmas with open fires and good wine etc.

UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2005

Hassop hall Hotel or the Peacock at Rowsley

www.hassophallhotel.co.uk

www.thepeacockatrowsley.com