We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatsworth House in the Winter

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chatsworth House in the Winter

Hi all,

We are looking at a last minute drive tomorrow around Castleton, Bakewell and Chatsworth.

I have a question about Chatsworth House. It is not open until next weekend, but it's website says "it is open to pedestrians as always" does anyone know what that means? If we park at a nearby car park, what will we be able to see? Can we get any nice views of the House and grounds?

Also, how far a walk is the nearest carpark?

Any help at this very last minute question would be very much appreciated!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatsworth House in the Winter

I can't answer you fully but there is a car park about 100m from the house but the website says this is closed this week. You can certainly get views of the house from the road and parkland around there. The website says the park is open, so there is good walking around the house.

There is another car park a mile away at Calton Lees near the south gate where there is a garden centre which may well be open and I think this has a cafe. You can walk from here to the house and back alongside the river.

At some distance there is a farm shop, this may not have views of the house.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatsworth House in the Winter

There's a car park in Baslow (gets busy). You can then walk through into Chatsworth Park and follow the river till you can see the house. The carpark by Calton Lees as mentioned by the previous poster is larger and less likely to be full. You follow the road signs for Chatsworth and drive past the turning for the car park by the house and just keep going. The car park is on the right. You get gfood views of the house as you drive past.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatsworth House in the Winter

If this message is not too late, I think you will find that the car park next to the house will still be open (and probably free !). Unless something has changed recently, there is nothing to stop you driving up to the house (the buses still do it during the winter) - just ignore the hose closed signs on the approach road.

I would not recommending parking at Baslow or the Farm shop - you won't see anything of Chatsworh from there and it is too cold to walk there comfortably !

4. Re: Chatsworth House in the Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Derbyshire