We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
364 reviews
Save Topic
How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

Will drive in from Norwich so will arrive around noon. Is an afternoon enough time to see everything including the house?. We will overnight locally but, time not being of the essence, could stay two nights if necessary. The fear is that we will be left twiddling our thumbs for most of the second day. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

What time of year? The grounds are best seen in the light.

I spent about half a day there. Could have spent a little longer, but not a full day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

The grounds and house both deserve time. At this time of year it is dark by 4.30pm.

london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

if you are staying overnight locally, and find that you don't want to go back to Chatsworth the next day, there are plenty of other nearby places to visit, such as Hardwick Hall, Matlock Bath etc

you might find this website useful

visitderbyshire.co.uk/places_to_visit.ihtml

Mentioned in this post
Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath
Matlock, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
29,992 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

At this time of year, only a small part of the house is open to the public.

TA Reviews show that many are disappointed by the limited viewing....

Half a day might therefore prove enough

Although there are many great walks in Chatsworth Park that could take days to explore....w

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

We went with our children and spent most of a day in the grounds without going in the house at all. If the weathers good I don't think time is a problem.. If it's a damp December day though, the Pub may be more appealing!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

I've been to Chatsworth several times & each time have spent most of the day there. I've usually arrived around the time of opening and gone into the house first (can easily take more than an hour to tour). After that it's a visit to one of the cafe/eating places for a drink & snack (and rest for the feet) before on to the gardens (huge) and if time permits a bit of the park.

As other posters have said depends on time of year (daylight hours/house limited access) and the weather. If you're planning to stay at least one night in the area and are visiting say in spring/summer then that would give you chance to pick the better day weather wise for your visit.

That area has other historic houses open to the public, some interesting towns & villages and plenty of walking - this is the Peak District & much of the area is national park based on its attractive countryside.

If you're visiting May-September I'd also recommend checking the well dressing calendar for any that coincide with your visit, when it's been updated for 2014. There are photos from previous years on the link - very much a tradition now associated with Derbyshire & surrounding counties:

http://www.welldressing.com/photo.php

Mentioned in this post
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

I have visited several times, once in the house taking 2-3 hours but mostly in the park.

My favourite walk is from the garden centre round to the rear of the woods by the Swiss Cottage, then back to the house across a sweeping hillside.

I haven't seen everything yet and I know there is a lot more to look at.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

I went there with my wife a couple of years ago and we had planned to view the house and garden.

At the entrance by mistake I bought a ticket JUST for the garden and so we planned to go round the garden and buy a ticket for the house later in the day.

But in the end we spent the whole day in the garden and never went in the house.

Of course that was in the spring / summer, it will be totally different in the winter.

9. Re: How long should we spend at Chatsworth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:18