We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

We rented a cottage in Olchard for a week at the end of September. Although it looks like Olchard is a very small village, it looks like it close to Teignmouth, Ideford and Chudleigh.

Is there grocery shopping near Olchard, or will we need to go into Chudleigh or Teignmouth?

I know we won't have any trouble finding things to do in the area, but does anyone have any suggestions of great things to see/do, restaurant/pub recommendations, etc....

We don't have a definite itinerary yet, but will probably take a couple of daytrips to Plymouth and Tintagle. Otherwise, we are just planning to see things in the immediate area. We will be driving in from Heathrow on Saturday (after a week's stay in London) and returning to Heathrow the following Saturday.

Any suggestions or recommendations are very welcome. :o)

Thanks,

Kay

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

On multimap.com click on the UK and search for Chudleigh. (Olchard is not in the index). Zoom in to 25000 scale.

Every village with a pub has PH marked in the place. Footpaths are red dashed and bridleways are red dotted. The bridleways are wider but better paved and you may meet a horse or a vehicle. We had a great holiday further south in Devon folling the red dashes from pub to pub. There is one marked for Ideford, Luton (not the one with the airport) and Chudleigh Knighton all within a couple of miles. They may or may not serve food. In our area every pub we called at was nice and had food.

Near Olchard is Ulcombe House. envireng.co.uk/places/…ugbrooke_house.htm says As well as some beautiful gardens and a fine old mansion, Ugbrooke House offers visitors a chance to see around the home of Lord Clifford, who still lives here. The insides give a wonderful insight into the lives of those living on country estates, now and in years gone by

There is an ancient Fort at Castle Dyke, this may just be a grassy mound.

Chudleigh has a pub, enough houses to be fairly sure of several shops, and a view point at Chudleigh Rocks.

Looks like an interesting area !

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

On multimap.com click on the UK and search for Chudleigh. (Olchard is not in the index). Zoom in to 25000 scale.

Every village with a pub has PH marked in the place. Footpaths are red dashed and bridleways are red dotted. The bridleways are wider but better paved and you may meet a horse or a vehicle. We had a great holiday further south in Devon folling the red dashes from pub to pub. There is one marked for Ideford, Luton (not the one with the airport) and Chudleigh Knighton all within a couple of miles. They may or may not serve food. In our area every pub we called at was nice and had food.

Near Olchard is Ulcombe House. envireng.co.uk/places/…ugbrooke_house.htm says As well as some beautiful gardens and a fine old mansion, Ugbrooke House offers visitors a chance to see around the home of Lord Clifford, who still lives here. The insides give a wonderful insight into the lives of those living on country estates, now and in years gone by

There is an ancient Fort at Castle Dyke, this may just be a grassy mound.

Chudleigh has a pub, enough houses to be fairly sure of several shops, and a view point at Chudleigh Rocks.

Looks like an interesting area !

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

PLease excuse me, my fingers types Ulcombe House while my brain was thinking Ugbrooke House. Looking at some details it looks as though it may close for the winter in mid September but there is a chance of a private tour for parties of '20'. I guess this revolves around whether there are enough fess paid so it is worth paying a guide so you may be able to negotiate a price based on your dates, they can only say no !

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Thanks, Big Dave. The multimap site was very interesting. I took a look at the satelite view of the area. Looks like a great area to unwind after a week in London.

Unfortunately, we will only be a group of 3 so we probably don't have much chance of seeing the manor house - but it does look like a very interesting tour! I guess it couldn't hurt to contact them and ask about it. :o)

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Kay, looking at the map, Olchard is just off (SE) the A380 which is the main road connecting Torbay and Exeter. This can be a very busy road especially during the summer months, so you may experience some traffic noise. In fact, if you can help it, I would suggest not heading towards Torbay at all on the A380, as you may spend an awful lot of time in slow traffic

However, you are less than 20 minutes from two of the best places in Devon - Exeter, Devon's capital city and Dartmoor National Park.

The centre of Exeter is a great place to explore. Exeter cathedral is especially worth a visit if you are in to that sort of thing and there is a small but interesting museum. Exeter Quay is good for a walk around. There is some major building work going on towards the eastern end of Exeter city centre, but it can be avoided. Good pubs/places to eat in Exeter include The Imperial and George's Meeting House. (Both Wetherspoon pubs)

As you will be mobile, drive up on to Dartmoor, which at that time of the year will look wonderful. If you like to walk, then there are plenty of footpaths to follow. I can particularly recommend driving to Two Bridges and walking to Wistmans Wood, an ancient oak forest. This would mean, though, as so many others who don't and miss out on the full magnificance of Dartmoor, walking more than 100 yards from the car.

On the southern edge of Dartmoor and not too far from your cottage is a village called Dodiscombleigh. There you will find a pub called the Nobody Inn. Continually one of the best pubs in the country and well worth a visit.

On the Exe Estuary between Exeter and Powderham is a pub called The Turf. You can't drive to it and this requires a walk from either direction of about half a mile, but it is well worth it for the food, beer and views over the estuary.

For your groceries, there is a small supermarket in Chudleigh which should cater for your needs as long as you are not looking for anything too exotic. There is a large supermarket, Sainsburys, which is the right side of Exeter for you and will stock almost anything you want.

There are several pubs in Chudleigh, but only one worth visiting. This is the Bishop Lacey, which you will find in the main road through Chudleigh, opposite the church. It may not look much from the outside, but they serve good beer and food and are welcoming. When (if) you go in, go in to the right hand side where their dining area is.

Apart from that, Chudleigh has nothing else really to offer for visitors. I would also advise steering clear of Newton Abbot. Again, nothing there for visitors.

However, Teignmouth is worth visiting, though I'm afraid I can not advise on any pubs or restautants there as I haven't rried any.

Plymouth and Tintagel can indeed be done as day trips, though the roads round Tintagel will most likely be busy.

Other things in your area include:

Dartington (where the glass comes from) Visit the shopping village just outside.

The House of Marbles (better than it sounds and its free) and Cardew Pottery at Bovey Tracey. You can walk from one to the other. Worth an hour of you time each.

Buckfast Abbey, which is a bit further down the A38 towards Plymouth.

Castle Drogo, a National Trust property. The last castle to be built in England.

Powderham Castle overlooking the Exe Estuary.

Canonteign Falls and park, just inside Dartmoor National Park. Near here is a village called Trusham where you will find a pub called the Cridford Inn. Nice place.

The town of Topsham, which is just the other side of Exeter from your cottage. Again on the Exe Estuary and has an interesting high street to walk down. Pub worth calling at is The Lighter which is on the quay. Next to the pub is an old warehouse with three floors of antiques for sale which you could spend all day looking round. You can get a ferry across the estuary from Topsham to The Turf (see above).

If you drive down the A38 towards Plymouth, you can't fail to miss some white medieval looking towers on the left hand side. This is a large shopping store called Trago Mills selling all sorts of things. Avoid.

I hope you enjoy your visit to one of the best parts of the UK. I live in Exmouth so know some of this area reasonable well. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

cjlb, thanks do much for all the info. I'm printing it out - it will help with the trip planning!! :o)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Hi there - we had a wonderful week in North Devon last year. If you get the opportunity try and take a trip up to Exmoor (Lorna Doone Country) and visit the villages of Lynton and Lynmouth. These are beautiful. While there visit the valley of rocks (the actual valley, not the hotel!!) The towns are connected by a water powered lift. Lynmouth was partially washed away by a freak flood in August 1952. An incredible drive and only about an hour or so (open to correction) from Teighmouth.

Have a wonderful holiday - you are so lucky to be visiting such a wonderful part of the world. Take Care.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Cjlb, this is a great list of recommendations about south Devon. I'm marking it for my own use next year! Thanks.

Britfan

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

For Dartmoor walking & small town mooching - try Chagford. Charming stannary town.

Can thoroughly recommend Bag O' Nails pub in Chagford for good ale & excellent food. On the town square - cannot be missed.

Chagford has a range of pubs - all lined up in one street going along top of town sq, & a couple of good restaurants - Whiddons & 22 Mill Street. You'll need to book - cosy & very popular.

Exeter - I like Cafe Paradiso - in house cafe restaurant for Hotel Barcelona. Stylish & good quality food at city prices.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Devon Holiday - Sept 2005

Hello Kay,

Have just returned from a week in Shaldon (near Teignmouth) and can give you a few recommendations (hope these are in time for your holiday). For grocery shopping, think the nearest Tesco is at Kingsteignton near Newton Abbot; trying not to be biased, this is the most comprehensive UK supermarket. Superb gardens at Rosemoor (Royal Horticultural Society), which is about 1-1.5 hours drive, but well worth it - it is near Great Torrington off the A386. Best pub food we found was at the Thelbridge Cross Inn on the B3042 near Thelbridge Barton (which is on the map); it was excellent, and we are very critical! Strongly recommend you try a Devon cream tea while you are here; the best one we found was in a little village called Cockington near Torquay; think it was called Rose Cottage or similar, but it has a duck pond and large garden, and when we were there a chap was playing the piano in the garden. We had trouble finding the village due to lack of sign posts - suggest you stop and ask a local like we did.

Hope you enjoy your trip

Regards