We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

Kent
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

Hi,

So the gf and I are thinking of going to Devon for a weekend away.

We want to go somewhere where there's some culture, maybe even some historical sites. But we want there to be things to do in the evening as well i.e. restaurants/bars.

I don't know this part of the country at all. Is there any part of it that would be good to visit?

My gf suggested Bournemouth, Torquey? But I've been to Bournemouth and it didn't seem like there was much to do in the day.

We're thinking of going 11th July so don't have long until we should book (might even be too late!).

I wouldn't want to spend more than £300 for 2 of us for 2 nights.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

Hi,

Bournmouth is in Dorset not Devon, but out of the two, I would myself go for Torquay. Its a lovely place to spend some time.

englishriviera.co.uk/site/…torquay

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

Which end of Kent are you travelling from, and by car or public transport? Because you may wish to factor in how long it's going to take you to get anywhere (having recently visited my Great Aunt in Ramsgate, and getting back to Hampshire!!)

2 thoughts come to mind - my favourite area - Isle of Purbeck (Dorset again) and the Jurassic Coast around to Lyme Regis, or further away how about Exeter as a base, which will give you your nighttime activities whilst having countryside / nice places within reach for the day?

Kent
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

I heard Exeter wasn't that nice a place?

We're far West into Kent, right next to London. Devon is about 3-4 hours away I think?

We went to Winchester last year and loved it. Had things to do in the day and great restaurants in the evening.

Somewhere similar would be great.

I'll look into Torquay.

Thanks guys.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

Torquay is for people waiting to die. Take care not to get run over by someone with one of those little motorised wheelchair things.

Exeter fits what you asked for, lots of stuff in and around. Exmouth nearby would be good for evening meal down by the harbour, or plenty of places in Exeter itself.

Its a loooong way from Kent to Devon just for a weekend, and the roads on Fridays and Sundays will be very busy, much as I like that part of the country I wouldn't do it unless i could make it 3 days to avoid the horrendous Friday evening traffic.

Kent
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

I'll have a look at Exeter.

I've taken the Friday off so can leave early Friday morning. Got Monday off too so can leave at any time on the Sunday. Yeah not looking forward to the driving but it has to be done. Well rather drive than trains.

Cheers.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

I was born and dragged up on the far West of Kent, right next to London, and many years ago went to Devon for the weekend. Stayed in Chagford, which was lovely. I went for the countryside, peace and quiet, so didn't need things to do in the evening. Gorgeous area though. Probably took about 5 hours to drive. Although come to think of it, didn't know about mileages then, and spent the night before in Salisbury! (The exclamation mark is because it doesn't seem so far now)

Still think you're missing a trick not looking into the Isle of Purbeck. (Corfe Castle, Durdle Door, Abbotsbury, Swanage etc)

My nearly 80 year old in-laws' idea of a good holiday is Torquay. Although I'm sure it's very nice, really.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

After some fairly exhaustive research, we chose Dartmouth as our sole Devon visit destination for our upcoming visit to England, which was focused primarily on Bath and London. Dartmouth appears to have a lot going for it-several historical sights (castle, Royal Naval college, others), georgeous harbor and river with appropriate actitivities, numerous restaurants and shops, several nice B&Bs and inns and a locally run heritage steam train that runs between Paignton and Kingswear (just across the Dart river). It's a bit difficult to reach via public transportation but doable-FGW runs regular trains to Paignton, with the local steam train providing the last leg. There are also buses from Totnes to Dartmouth. Two B&Bs that stood out during my research were the Orleans (especially their suite) and the Nonsuch House (in Kingswear), but there appeared to be many other nice lodgings in that area. We're only going for a day trip this time, but I plan to visit a few of the B&Bs I found for a future visit when we have more time.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

I think Dartmouth is a good choice as well, as are the areas that Gilligan recommended.

Sunny South West
Level Contributor
10 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

I'm astonished at Joe & Gilligan's idea that Torquay is full of old people waiting to die!!! Yes there are some more elderly visitors but huge numbers of families and youngsters go and have a superb time, there is something for all ages in and around Torbay. Ignor the comments from people I suggest havn't set foot in the place in a very long time.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit in Devon/SW England - advice needed.

scratchgolfer - you've misinterpreted my comments, haven't you?! No I haven't been there for a while, which is why I said I was sure it was very nice really, and why shouldn't my 80 year olds think Torquay is a nice place to holiday? Note - holiday, not go to die.