We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cream Tea in Devon

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cream Tea in Devon

We will be in Devon in late September - staying just south of Exeter. We've been to afternoon teas in London, but want to have a cream tea in Devon, the home of clotted cream. :o)

Can anyone recommend a charming place for a cream tea?

Thanks,

Kay

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

I'm not to sure how far away from Exeter, but Lynton & Lynmouth (North Devon) is the place for me in Devon. It is the most charming and amazing place.

Lynton sits above Lynmouth with a very very steep hill dividing the two. Its hard enough driving up there let alone walking. If you wish, there is a fantastic water train (tram) that travels up the cliff side.

The cream teas in L & L are delicious and coupled with the views (have a look on the internet) its out of this world.

Trust me, it would be worth the drive.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

Hi

No need to drive all the way to North Devon to experience a decent cream tea. Here is a link to a BBC web page about cream teas and the best in the South West.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A649235

The important place for you from Exeter is Southern Cross in Newton Poppleford. This is situated on the main Exeter Sidmouth road about 9 miles East of Exeter.

Coming from Exeter, it is on the left hand side just as you go in to the village. I believe they do have a small car park, but it is easy to miss. Alternatively, park in the village and walk back to it. If the weather is good enough, they have a lovely garden to sit out in.

Enjoy.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I don't know if we'll be able to get up to North Devon this trip (but the area looks lovely!!) I found the webpage for the Southern Cross and e-mailed them requesting their opening hours and booking information.

Thanks!!

http://www.southerncrossguesthouse.co.uk/

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

Sidbury.

Can't remember the name but it was wonderful, lots of special china about, the owner dropped a cup and broke it, glad that wasn't me.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,983 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

Chellejaya - Linton and Lynmouth are really wonderful - there is also a "sweet" shop in Lynmouth Harbour that does the most wonderful "home-made" produce....I love those places!! And the incredible drive across Exmoor to get there....and the Valley of the rocks outside Lynton..

Sorry, but we had a wonderful stay in Devon last year and although there were so many fabulous places we visited and things we did, I think the day we travelled across Exmoor, down through Lymouth and Lynton and through the Valley of Rocks was one of the best trips ever. Dare I say it, better than parts of my beloved Co. Kerry.

Take Care.

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

I agree its great. I have had holiday's in Lymouth for about 10 yrs on the trot. I think I remember the sweet shop you refer to. Is it opposite "The Bath Hotel"

I think I will definately be back there next year.

Long way to drive from Norfolk ( I used to live in Herts) , but as I said before, it's worth it.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

You might be interested in this article on Topsham, south Exeter, too, which includes cream tea recommendations:

waitrose.com/food_drink/…0010090.asp

Combe Martin, Devon
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

Next time your in the area of Exmoor try the Tarr Farm Hotel at Tarr Steps in the heart of Exmoor. Massive cream tea, huge scones and big bowls of cream and jam. Yummy. Keith

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

hi,

travelling to north devon, especially lynmouth will take a fair while. remember the roads will take longer to drive on as they are wiggly!

as for newton pop - i'm sure the cream teas are ok - but what else will you do there?? it is not that exciting a place!

If i was going to have a cream tea i'd go to post bride on dartmoor - not too far a drive from exeter (1 hour) there are some nice walks that go out from here, a national park hut with maps etc and a hotel tucked away (behind the pub - you'll see a sign) called Lydgate House. they do fabulous cream teas in the afternoon.

Also if you are on Dartmoor there is a wonderful pup called the nobody inn. Fantastic with both a pub food section (although very high calibre food) and a rather charming restaurant.

Any way i could wittle away for hours about where to go and what to do so i'll stop, but please feel free to ask more...if you haven't already gone!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cream Tea in Devon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A649235

Yum! We're planning on staying in Tavistock on our next trip and will definitely use this information re: Devon Cream Teas!

Britfan