We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

We will be travelling from Suffolk to Bromley South London (to collect my Dad) and then to Torpoint Plymouth this Thursday am and back the next day Friday leaving about 5pm, after my sons passing out at HMS Raleigh.

Which route would you take please? AA say M4 but I'm not sure if thats best? We want as quick and easy a journey as poss after a long 2 days driving.

On way home we would like to stop after a couple of hours or so for a decent pub meal, max a couple of miles off our route. Has any one any suggestions please.

Also will need to stop on way down, but may just use services that time.

Thanks anyone, already had some good thoughts on another forum, who suggested I post here also.

Thanks

Also which route would you take? AA say M4 but I'm not sure if thats best? We want as quick a journey as poss after a long day.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

<<AA say M4 but I'm not sure if thats best>>

So does Google maps but my sat nav says M25 M3 A303 and thats the route I'd have chosen, its much more direct and the roads are pretty good all the way.

The A303 at the time you'll be on it is a pretty fast road and I presume you arent in a tearing hurry anyway? Its also more scenic and you get to see Stonehenge on the way (dont blink though).

Going back there will be pubs along the A303 you can stop at which you wont have on the M5/M4 alternative route, obviously that is just services.

Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

There's not much difference time wise between the M4-M5 route or the A303. The motorway is obviously easier driving, it is slightly longer but just as quick as the A303.

Regarding a stop on the way home, try the Blackbrook Tavern which is just yards off junction 25 (It's on the A358 Ilminster road)of the M5 near Taunton. We ate there last autumn and had a lovely carvery.

Allow a bit of extra time on the way down as Torpoint is actually in Cornwall and you will need to take the car ferry across the River Tamar from Plymouth

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

I suggest going M4 & then A38, follow signs for Plymouth city centre & out the other end. Directions from here to Torpoint ferry. The ferry is vehicle & passenger ferry. Takes less than 10mins. May have to queue a bit but as ferry every 10mins it so shouldn't be long. Cost about £1 per car incl passengers,oneway: pay onboard.

This is easiest way to avoid getting lost. If you have sat nav (I don't use one - probably one of few people who don't), may direct you around city to avoid any traffic etc. Either way not too hard to find.

If you don't mind short detour then probably Exeter a good choice fro stopoff on way, just off M4 where it ends. Maybe 5-6miles detour but nice city. Exeter is about 1 hour from Plymouth.

To eat can suggest 2 places (of many). Totally different: You can go back towards Plymouth & park up in Barbican area. Nice places to eat, but think The China House a good bet. Nice waterfront location. Found behind the Aquarium. You can park up in pub car park, but think walk across Barbican nice if weather ok.

Another option, head towards Saltash. The Crooked Inn is about 3-4 miles west of Saltash. Must keep eye out for signpost though as can miss it. Postcode is: PL12 4RZ if you have sat nav. Maybe a few miles off your route, but pleasant location in countryside & has courtyard & farm animlas etc. Food good. This is all based on my visits from a couple of years ago, as used to go frequently when in the area. It was good for many years, hope it hasn't changed.

If you do go to Crooked in it is just off A38, and easy to follow back onto M4.

Enjoy the weekend, Hope weather good, as I will also be visiting Plymouth for few days.

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

If there is little traffic around, then the A303 can be an Ok route. However, if it's busy, then it can be a nightmare, and you could end up in Plymouth very frazzled. Thursday AM, shouldn't be too busy though.

I've tried both routes, and would always choose the M4-M5-A38 route, but that's down to my personal preference.

I also wouldn't try the Blackbrook, unless you like Chain Pub mass catering carveries. Much better is the Ruishton Inn, only a few hundred yards away from the Blackbrook mentioned.

http://www.theruishtoninn.co.uk/

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

janner, I think you mean the M5 ends at Exeter. The M4 goes into Wales.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

<<I suggest going M4 & then A38.....If you don't mind short detour then probably Exeter a good choice for stopoff on way, just off M4 >>

I'm presuming the poster means M5 not M4 in both cases.

As you wanted somewhere to eat just a short distance off the route, I wouldnt recommend detouring into the centre of Exeter where you'll also have to mess about finding parking plus possibly leave your car with its luggage in a car park while you eat.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

Yes. Apologies. M4 from London area onto M5 - keep going & then join A38. Do I know what I am taking about ??? Exeter is at end of M5.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

I like tripadvisor for the variety of answers you get. I was the one who suggested annie posted here having originally posted on the "Somerset" forum.

All the people on the somerset forum suggested A38/A30/A303/M3 whereas most here are suggesting A38/M5/M4 - interesting.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

Good point. I think the route I stated is the quickest (although it is a fairly long journey), depending on traffic conditions.It may not be as scenic the other route, but she asked for quickest. I suppose varying views can make it confusing. It can be reassuring when everyone makes the same recommendation. However, sometimes there are a few hints given on this forum that people hadn' thought about that make it interesting. Which route you do choose I trust you will have a great time & will be worth then journey to see you sons passing out parade.

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ? which route London to Tor Point & good pub food stop

Thank you all so much for your views, all really appreciated.

In the end we did M3 A303 and it was great, we left London about 9.30 am Thursday and were in Tor Point by 3.30 and that was with several stops.

It was a really pleasant drive with no hold ups, and very direct. After Exeter can't remember road number but it just continued on to Plymouth and we went over the ferry at Tor Point, no probs, just drove on no queuing and they went straight away.

We had a good carvey at the carbeile Inn Tor Point that night, and enjoyed it so much, we had a meal there again Friday pm before ouy journey home, instead of stopping en route. The only thing we'd do different, we'd stop for another night B & B on way home, may be Exeter area, as the drive home was tiring after a long 2 days.

Wonderful passing out parade at HMS Raleigh, very proud of our son and all the other new sailors, they were great. Also a beautiful unspoilt area, had quick drive round pretty lanes near Whitsand Bay, must go back for longer trip. Thanks again everyone.