We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves?

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base ourselves?

Hi there,

We are planning a trip to Cornwall and Devon for the second May bank holiday, so around end of May/early June.

We are spending 2 nights in Cornwall and then looking at spending 3 nights in the Devon area. However, I am not sure where is the best place to base ourselves. I have read up on Dartmouth and was thinking of basing ourselves there but I have read it can get quite busy. Will it be busy around the time we plan to go?

Also we will have a car so we can base ourselves elsewhere as well. I have also read that Bovey Tracy is nice but I can't find anything on the forum on this place, probably because it is quite small.

Any suggestions on where to base ourselves in Devon would be great. We'd probably like to avoid Torquay or anywhere that would be too majorly busy.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base ourselves?

What is it you're wanting to do and see and Devon?

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base ourselves?

I think we'd like to focus on scenery and views etc. Not so much buildings or museums or anything like that.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Bovety Tracey is an excellent base, would suit you admirably. It is on the edge of Dartmoor, but also within easy reach of the coast. It has hotels, tea rooms, banks and shops but is eminently walkable, although hilly. There are also splendid walks in the area. I stayed at Coombe Cross hotel some years ago and it was good, although ownership has changed since then.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Ah ok! Also I have seen people talking about a Round robin trip in Devon. What is that?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Hi there

Bear in mind that Devon is a large county, with a south and north coast and a lot of space between the two. Bovey Tracey is about 12 miles southwest of Exeter and is well located to visit the south of the county where all the major resorts are, like Brixham, Paignton, Torquay, Teignmouth and Dawlish. As has been said, it's handy for the likes of exploring Dartmoor but it just depends what you want to do and see. Three days for such a large county isn't that much time and I think you'd have to decide whether to "do" the south or north coasts or else you'll spend all your time in the car.

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Teignmouth
Teignmouth
Devon, UK
Dawlish
Dawlish
Devon, UK
London
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Ah thank you for the heads up! I think I am looking at more the South of Devon not so much the north. So around the places that you have just mentioned above. We are then goin to take the train from Exeter back to London at the end of our trip. But I don't want to stay in Exeter.

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to base ourselves?

The Round Robin is a splendid day out, and you can start at any of the major towns on the route. Totnes is easy to reach from Bovey. From Totnes there is a river trip to Dartmouth, time in Dartmouth itself, cross the river to Kingswear, steam railway trip to Paignton, and open top bus back to Totnes.

Timings depend upon the tides so consult a timetable locally before you go. Highly recommended!

Mentioned in this post
Totnes
Totnes
Devon, UK
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Round Robin is most definitely worth doing - whenever we have friends/relatives come to stay it's always on our list of things to do. The trips will start up again in April and their website (www.pdsr.co.uk) will give all the options/times. I wouldn't bother spending too much time in Paignton but either Dartmouth and/or Totnes are both worth a look around. As for Bovey Tracey there's not a great deal to do in the village but it does have the Dartmoor National Park headquarters very close by.

Have a think about basing yourself in Totnes as it's close to both the coast and Dartmoor. It also has the advantage of being on the train line between Plymouth and Exeter.

Mentioned in this post
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Totnes
Totnes
Devon, UK
Plymouth
Plymouth
Devon, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to base ourselves?

The South hams is by far the most beautiful place in Devon to visit ie Totnes, Modbury, Ivybridge, Kingsbridge, Salcombe and Dartmouth.

Though Bovey Tracey is lovley, you mentioned you were not interested in Exeter or the Torbay area (I dont blame you) and were looking further south, so I would say you were basing yourself a little too far out as Darmoor can be easily reached from Totnes and Ivybridge and gives you alot less travelling time to visit all the other South Hams places.

Im a Salcombe lover but that would be a little too far south for a base so I would opt for the Watermans Arms (www.thewatermansarms.net) just outside Totnes, its a fantastic pub, restaurant and small hotel set by an idilyic stream running into the Dart, from here all the other destinations are 10mins to a maximum of 40mins to reach including Dartmoor

Mentioned in this post
Totnes
Totnes
Devon, UK
Kingsbridge
Kingsbridge
Devon, UK
Salcombe
Salcombe
Devon, UK
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
London
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Thank you Essex1UK!! That's the kind of advice I was looking for. So basing myself around Totnes or thereabouts you reckon is the best to be able to see most of the south of devon? I was looking at Bulleigh Park Farm as a base. Doesn't look like a bad place to stay and not far from Totnes too.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Totnes
Totnes
Devon, UK