We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Devon - advise please

Moving to Devon - advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 11:35
UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

We did the same exercise a couple of years ago and spent many weekends driving down to Devon looking at all possibilities and all areas and we concluded that unless you are going private with the schools, it pretty much rules the whole of North Devon out especially the Bideford area!

(Im sorry North Devon but alot of your schools are awful)

Taking that into account we researched the best schools and made our decision based on the findings, which were Kingsbridge College, Ivybridge College and King Edward School Totnes. We decided on Kingsbridge as we already had roots in Salcombe but there is no rail station, the nearest being Ivybridge or Totnes, so when the kids get older and need to find work in probably Exeter or Plymouth it will be a bit of a drag.

From a complete neutral perspective I would head for the Ivybridge or Modbury area, the coasts near by, rail and road links, Dartmoor and two big towns within 30mins either way. Totnes is lovely too but If you ask around you will find it is a bit of an acquired taste!

Surrey
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Thank you so much your advise is really appreciated. I've looked in and around the Ivybridge area - it does look lovely!

Its really hard looking for properties when you haven't got a clue what the areas are like! Are there any areas I should avoid? without wanting to appear snobbish I would prefer to stay away from "estates"

We've booked in to view a new home in Dawlish in a couple of weeks - any views?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Hi there

I think another important aspect is to tot up what you can afford house-wise, and see what your money will get you in various places. For example, it's not much use finding a great school for the kids in a wonderful location then find there are no houses available within your budget. Why not take out postal subscriptions to a few of the local Devon weekly newspapers and get a feel for property prices?

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

No problem.

GBfromDevizes makes a good point regarding your budget, South Devon can be a bit pricey so have a look on Rightmove or Primelocation where you can search properties by location, price, size and receive updates etc.

My list was by no means exhaustive as we looked at many areas e.g Tavistock - great market town but again unless you are going private local schools dont score too well, East Devon inc Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton and Ottery St Mary - some good schools and a fantastic area close to Exeter(which is far better than Plymouth if you had to choose between the two big cities) but more for the older generation, Newton Abbot - has a great school which could be reached from lovley places like Bovey Tracey and Shaldon but too close to Torbay area which has some really bad social problems after Plymouth and if your moving away from that there are so many better places to go in Devon.

I dont know Dawlish too well but we did drive through and I thought the sea front was a bit "kiss me quick" again the the same with Teignmouth.

Go on the website "Upmystreet" where you can look at areas by school, crime rate, type of people, house prices etc

Good Luck

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Whooooa! Essex1UK, Swimbridge school is one of the top primaries in the country! Although I'll give you Bideford is rough in places, it is Torridge rather than North Devon, technically!!!

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

The primary schools are not the problem, most are very good throughout the whole of Devon if not the UK but unfortunately kids move on to secondary school and the performance data available for the North doesn't paint a pretty picture in comparison with the South of the County.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Recently we watched a TV Program on the Torbay area & it was not good at all. Even the Ofsted reports did not show up the problems that were highlighted on the program. It stated that the particular problem that was being reported was one of the highest in the uk. If not the highest.

This suprised us as members of our family moved to Torquay about three years ago. There boys are doing ok . But It was the secondary school that were being reported on.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Recently we watched a TV Program on the Torbay area & it was not good at all. Even the Ofsted reports did not show up the problems that were highlighted on the program. It stated that the particular problem that was being reported was one of the highest in the uk. If not the highest.

This suprised us as members of our family moved to Torquay about three years ago. There boys are doing ok . But It was the secondary school that were being reported on.

Surrey
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Thank you all for your thoughts!

I have already been looking on Rightmove etc.

Infact I have found some lovely properties to view in Ivybidge so again, thank you!

I would love to live in Dartmouth as its the perfect picturesque area but £500,000 plus is above my price range!!! We are looking for a 3 bed house with garden and parking being essential up to approx £300,000. Anymore ideas will be very welcomed - thanks x

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Devon - advise please

Again the problem with Dartmouth is the secondary school, the Ofsted performance data(all found on UpMyStreet) shows the school is no where near as good as its compatriots in Kingsbridge, Ivybridge & Totnes.

Finally there are a couple of Estate Agents that dont advertise on either Primelocation or Rightmove e.g Kingsbridge Estate Agents @ http://www.kingsbridge-estate-agents.com/ , but I would guess they cover 90% of whats available.

If you stick with the triangle between Ivybridge, Modbury and Yealmpton you wont go far wrong and you will be in budget.

Get answers to your questions about Devon