We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day weekend tour from London

ontario
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 day weekend tour from London

During our visit to London we would like to spend the 2nd May bank holiday weekend visiting an area in the south west coast of England. We are looking for a recommendation as to how to reach this area from London (plane? train?) and where we can stay in a scenic or interesting place without a car.

Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions...

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

I'm sorry but the OP is asking for a 'scenic town with a good beach'.

There is no way Plymouth or for that matter Exeter fit the bill, they are cities after all. If its for primarily shopping,then fair enough but i still think Weymouth,Paignton or Bournmouth would be good choices, they have good rail links and everything the OP wants.

Train tickets can generally be booked 3 months in advance, the earlier you book the cheaper the fare.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

No mention of beach in the question, just scenic or interesting.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

"looking for a scenic town to stay in where we can ideally take a train into the town and easily explore a beach or two and nice shops to poke around in."

BridgnorthSnaps, no mention in the original post but you have to read all of them!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

I noticed that Exmouth, which is an very attractive seaside town, has not yet been mentioned and this could be a possibility and you could take the approx half hour train journey into Exeter if you wanted have a look around there. More information is available in the link below.

www.exmouth-guide.co.uk/tourinf.htm

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

Hi RangerGirl, for a weekend you wouldn't forget in a hurry, you could fly from London Gatwick to Newquay, north Cornwall. Newquay is on the North Cornish coast and a very popular resort for surfers. That weekend is the annual 'Run to the Sun' event (google it), so you would certainly find the place 'interesting' !!

Other than that, East Devon, Exeter and Exmouth (the start of the Jurassic Coastline) would be an excellent option in my humble opinion, but then I am biased towards this area.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

I have a feeling that run to the sun would not be what they are after! It is a very rowdy weekend, lots of water pistols around and you will be squirted even if you don't want to be! If it was a couple of young people, then I would say give it a go,but a mother and daughter, I think not! Any other weekend I would say to give Newquay a go, but certainly not that one.

17. Re: 3 day weekend tour from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 05:16