We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Devon??

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in Devon??

Hi all!!

My girlfriend and myself are travelling to Devon for a few days at the end of May. We have about 4 days and I'm just wondering what we should try to fit in? If the weather is good of course the sea and beaches will be on the agenda and w'd also like to see some of the nice villages and towns inland. Both of us enjoy good food and a good walk too. We're travelling by car so we're pretty flexible on where we want to go. Anyway any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Level Contributor
29,502 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Devon??

A good guidebook will help you with your decisions, or have a look a this:

Devon is a large county with lots to do, you don't really need us to make a list of 'stuff' for you, do you??

When you have narrowed down your choices of the places that YOU have decided YOU want to visit, post back for the TA lowdown on each of your choices.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Devon??

If you're in South Devon spend a day on the Round Robin - bus, steam train and boat trip taking in Paignton, Dartmouth and Totnes. Depending on tide times you'll have a choice of start times . For details see www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
581 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in Devon??

Clovelly is an interesting little village. Wear very, very comfortable shoes.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in Devon??

You say you like a good walk. Rather than head for the coast, I can recommend a walk on Dartmoor. If you head for Two Bridges (handy pub at the location) and then walk out to Wistmans Wood (google it), an ancient oak forest, far enough on to the moor to make it a good walk, but not too far.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in Devon??

Not sure where you will be based but some ideas for North Devon:

For food, try the Grove Inn at King's Nympton, especially for Sunday lunch (three course around £16 pp). Also, Mortehoe Shellfish for fab fresh seafood:

The Jack Russell at Swimbridge and the Chichester Arms at Bishops Tawton are both good for pub grub, too.

For walks; Lydford Gorge on the edge of Dartmoor:

The waterfall and Devil's Cauldron are both wondrous sights.

The whole of Dartmoor is good for walks and you can see the famous

I personally absolutely love walking around Mortehoe, around to Bull Point lighthouse (or even further, to Lee Bay) and back around passed Rockham Beach to Morthoe or Morte Point and in to the Ship Aground for a nice cool pint!

This site gives you some idea of the route:

The walk between Fremington Quay and Instow is very nice, as is a trip to Crow Point on the opposite coast at Braunton. Braunton Burrows are also nice for a trot.

Croyde is a beautiful golden beach, but other unmissable places include Lynton and Lynmouth, with nearby the Valley of the Rocks and Watersmeet for walks and also Heddon's Mouth is a wonderful place for an afternoon walk in the sun.

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in Devon??

Many thanks to each of you that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Just wanted a couple of pointers on what we might enjoy and that's exactly what I got!!

Again, many thanks!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see in Devon??

Branscombe is a pretty village on the South coast. A coast trail to Beer runs about 2 miles one way over the hills with nice views. Nearby Sidmouth has a nice seafront walk and decent restaurants.

8. Re: What to see in Devon??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 07:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor