We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat out in Axminster?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
352 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat out in Axminster?

We will be staying a couple of days in Axminster in August. Any recommendations for where to eat out in or around town with our 9 year old?

Can see lots of listings, but very few reviews.

Not really interested in Huge Furry-Eatitall's Canteen.....

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

Good on you for not wanting to eat at Hugh's!! The Golden House (Chinese) is pretty good right in the centre of town, on the corner of Lyme Street. The real winner for me though is the Indian (Cinnamons) right next to the old Cattle Market. Everytime I've been there I've had sensational curries, some of the best I've ever eaten. Both places are suitable for children.

I haven't eaten at the pubs in Axminster for ages so I can't comment on them but there are some very nice pubs about just outside of Axminster, I haven't been to them for the last 6 months as I'm away at the moment but The Kings Arms in Stockland used to be very good for food. The pub changed hands a few years back and the food went downhill but the original owners were back in there and servcing lovely food. It's a beautiful old country pub too. Stockland is about 5 miles from Axminster. The Tucker's Arms in Dalwood used to be good too but not sure as that changed hands too.

A bit further afield is Branscombe and the Masons Arms and the Fountain Head, both really good pubs with a great selection of local grub.

In the village of Beer there is my favourite restaurant around, especially if you like seafood. It's called Steamers and it's great. Very friendly people and brilliant food. I've only ever been there at evenings but they're open in the day too so that might be better for a 9 year old.

Also in Beer is a great value Beach Cafe called Ducky's - it's on the right hand side of the beach as you walk down to it. Very well priced food and very child friendly as the beach is lovely - pebbles, but lovely. Lots of rock pools in which to explore and self drive motor boats for hire!

Colyton - Try The Gerrard, friendly pub with a small but very decent selection of food.

Lyme Regis - about 7 miles away on the coast with a large selections of pubs and restaurants.

Hope this helps...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

Hey faceman,

Thanks, that's just what we needed. We knew we would stumble across something, but sometimes a great meal can really make a holiday special. Looked at the Steamers website, food looks perfect for us, and Ducky's sounds great - plus rockpools (our son is mad for them) and I really fancy hiring a motor boat now.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please chip in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

Make sure you get to Beer at low tide then, you should be able to check online or the local papers for the tide times. There are loads of rockpools there at low tide...

Oh, use Simon Bartlett for the boat hire, I've found his boats to be better than the chap on the other side of the beach! You can try and catch some mackerel with handlines from the boat too... Perfect for a BBQ in the evening on the beach with a few beers!

If Steamers are still serving the Monkfish with King Prawn curry go for that - it's sensational!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

faceman,

Thanks, sounds delicious - now thinking about staying in Beer instead, it sounds so good.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

The Holt in Honiton is a gorgeous gastro type pub, and Wheelwright Inn in Colyford a great pub. Can endorse all of faceman's entries too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

Yep, The Wheelwright is a good food pub. It was renovated a year or two ago and they've made a real push on the food side. I'm from Colyton and there is a great place to stay there called the White Cottage. They have self catering cottages (in the old stable block) and rooms in the main building if you like. Google "white cottage colyton" and you'll find the website, you can book online and the owner (Lloyd) is a good chap. The rooms are great, really old and quirky (sloping floors etc!)

The Dolphin has rooms in Beer and it's owned by a local family. Danny and Darren Clinch are really nice blokes but I can't comment on their rooms as I've never stayed there. Beer is generally more expensive than Colyton as it gets very busy and it's on the coast. Colyton is 3 miles inland and is a lovely town.

Don't stay in Seaton as it's not that great. The best thing about Seaton is the Tramway to Colyton!!

Anyway... Time for me to enjoy my own holiday!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Having thought more about it, we have decided to stay a week in Colyton.

You should work in sales, faceman ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

I hope you like Colyton, if you need to know anything just let me know!

The Gerrard Arms is a friendly locals pub I always drink there and they've just had a new floor and redecorated the place. Dave and Kaz own the pub and they are great.

9. Re: Where to eat out in Axminster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:16