We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

We're planning to stay 3 days in Devon (or poss. Cornwall) before taking a ferry to FRance, because I have always wanted to see the area. I would love to stay longer but it is proving expensive and I would say the kids wil not appreciate the scenic beauty of the place - they prefer ice creams and swimming pools :-)

Can anyone recomend a base for us? Would a city/large town or out in the country be better?

I know it sounds crude, but what are the highlights, if you had to just pick 3-4 things to see/do in a short space of time, that hopefully doesnt incolve horrid amounts of driving (we will be coming from Wales, ANglesea from the ferry)?

Any recommendations of areas gratefully received.

england
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

do you want to please you or the children and what age are they? There is plenty of ice-cream and lots of swimming pools. You may want to think about Dartmouth (pretty place with a theme park http://www.woodlandspark.com/ ) or stay near Exeter and let the children run off steam at Crealy. Or stay at Newquay where the zoo is a delight.

All of these are compromises to keep the children happy. Places like devil's cauldron might also please all of you http://www.devonguide.com/photos/img548.htm

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

Many thanks!

the children will have 2 weeks in France so they can "suck it up" to a certain extent ;-) ...that is until they start screaming in the back of the car (they are primary school age and younger)..so a mix of "its Mummy and Daddy's turn for a while shhhhhhhhhhhh" and "isn't that fun?!" coupled with ice creams and sitting waving at the carousel as it rotates for the umpteenth time!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

I'd go for South Devon, probably less crowded than Cornwall. Salcombe or Dartmouth have good accommodation and would make sense as a base.

My suggestions :

1. A day on the beautiful double beach at Bigbury on Sea, walk across to Burgh Island to explore

2. A trip to the National Aquarium and historic Barbican/Hoe in Plymouth

3. A day on one of the two steam railways in the area (Dart Valley or Kingswear).

Mike

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

For a cheap and cheerful trip, why not have a family room in a Travelodge or two? A whole family of four can go in one room and that way you could try both North and South Devon.

You could have a night in Barnstaple and break your trip from Wales to some extent and perhaps see the Northern coast and then head down across Dartmoor to somewhere on the southern coast?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

I'd say Dartrmouth too because of the train trip, boat trip for the children and you can see the countryside too! You don't say what time of year so I hope it's spring or summer. In the West Country we do a great range of real ice-cream and cream teas, olde worldy pubs and good food.

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

Thanks everyone. Lots of great information there! Seems Dartmouth is where I should be ;-) Yes, its summer we are going.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

I would recommend East Devon, just off the M5 at Exeter. Beautiful Jurassic Coast and pretty inland scenery. Some lovely small scale attractions your children will never forget (i.e. Escot and Pecorama). Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for inspiration.

8. Re: Whistlestop tour- with kids- HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 05:31