We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in devon

Shropshire
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in devon

Me and my boyfriend are thinking about going on hol to devon but not sure where to go, we want somewhere preferably quaint and unspoilt but still with plenty to do and see and somewhere thats near the beach. We like the look of dartmouth but its not on the coast. Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in devon

I suggest you think about Dartmouth again. To all intents and purposes It's on the coast at the mouth of the River Dart and Blackpool Sands, one of the best beaches in Devon, is close by.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in devon

check out East Devon. Unspoilt coast and countryside, and some great romantic places to stay and eat: www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk.

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in devon

When are you coming to Devon and what is your budget per night for hotel/B+B?

You can't really go wrong with small towns/villages on the coast.

Beer and Branscombe are small but perfectly formed!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in devon

Dartmouth might just be what you are looking for set in a beutifull area with plenty of places to visit - and yes it does have a beach Blackpool Sands is spectacular

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in devon

Dartmouth is very popular as is Salcombe. But it depends how big you want the place you stay to be. If a village with a pub is enough then check out the following :

Hope Cove is cosily beautiful, has rock pools, cliff walks and a little beach.

Bigbury on Sea is not old but has a wonderful double beach and is opposite Burgh Island which has a nice old pub.

Ringmore is older, partly thatched and just 10 minutes walk from its own cove and beach.

Drive to the town - but stay in the village !

Mike

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in devon

My vote goes for Dartmouh as well, there is loads to do there and Blackpool Sands http://www.blackpoolsands.co.uk/ is less than 5 miles away with a great beach cafe and good parking. There are other stunning beaches like Bantham and Bigby a bit further away as well.

Salcombe is lovely, for me it does not have as much character as Dartmouth but very much more expensive (it is not known locally as Kensington by Sea for nothing...).

There are some beautiful villages as mentioned by argyle_mikey which are great if you are happy eating in more or eating in the same few places or one person driving while the other one can drink.

That for me is why Dartmouth wins as we enjoy eating out and can pick a different place every night without having to get in our car if we don't want to. Having said that there are some great pubs in local villages. The Hunters Inn in Cornworthy springs to mind.

7. Re: Where to stay in devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 05:33