We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon to Manchester

West Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Devon to Manchester

Hi

I will be on a cricket tour in England in August and wish to leave the tour group in Devon to travel to Skellig Michael in Ireland then catch up with the group in Manchester. I want to hire a car so I can drive myself and only have four days for the trip.

Can anyone advise me on hire car companies, route to take, and time needed, I want to photograph the puffins.

Thank you.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devon to Manchester

Not sure why you are going to Ireland. If it is to photograph Puffins have you checked whether they will be around in August. They are usually around mostly in the breeding season, and that's when they have their brightly coloured beaks.

Puffins are on Lundy Island, boat from Ilfracombe Devon. Also on some Welsh Islands which make easy transfer to Manchester.

West Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Devon to Manchester

Thank you for your information,

Yes I was going to photograph the puffins, if I can get to photograph them in/around Devon that would be great. I will check the links you have provided and hopefully save some time.

West Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Devon to Manchester

It appears that there are few puffins on Lundy Island due to rats, things have changed but it will take time for there numbers to increase. I had read that you will allways find puffins on Skellig Michael and because I'm travelling from Australia this is the only chance I will have to photograph the puffins so I need to be sure I will get to see some.

If anyone knows of a very good place to see the puffins close to Devon I can change my plans.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Devon to Manchester

This may help

www.beautiful-england.co.uk/puffinfaq.htm

Gibel

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devon to Manchester

Hi

Puffins are found around the Welsh coasts too.

Try these organisations who may be able to give details of what will be available during your time in the U.K. Obviously, South Wales would be easier than having to fly to Ireland.

Activity Wales - info@activitywales.com

Welsh Wildlife Centre - infowelshwildlife.org

either of these emails should be able to help you.

You don't mention where you will be based in Devon - North or South?

This would help re: car hire. However, as you probably want to drop the car off in Manchester, one of the bigger firms would be better i.e. Hertz rent a car.

Hope you find the puffins!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devon to Manchester

My word Forwardscout you've set yourself a task!

The Farne Islands.....furthest point from Devon almost but

northumberland-coast.co.uk/farne_islands.php

has map, boat trips etc.

They also breed a bit later there being further north and colder. That's why I think Farne may be your best bet - but email both and ask because you don't want to travel all that way to find them gone.

(remember we have seasons and birds breed in the spring.)

If you can email the tourist information near your destination to see if the Puffins remain on the islands after the breeding season which is April (south) to July (north).

See if you can fly from Exeter airport to Edinburugh (bad spelling) or Newcastle and drive from there.

I would suggest seeing if you can fly to Ireland too if you are going there. But watch out for surchages on these flights.

It may be easier to get the National Express coach or train to Bristol Airport where Easyjet fly from. If you book any of these online early you should get cheap flights. However August is the peak holiday time.

Our distances may not be as great as yours but our roads are small winding and conjested to get to anywhere remote and beautiful.

If it gets all too much take a trip to Lundy just for the fun of going on a working paddle steamer and buy a stamp with a puffin on it. You'll have a good time (there is a pub on the island and a bar on the boat) without the stress!

http://www.devonperspectives.co.uk/lundy.html

swim with seals there or surf at Woolacombe........

7. Re: Devon to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 13:15