We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Heritage sites and wandering

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
359 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
National Heritage sites and wandering

Hi folks,

We'll be visiting the West Country for the 1st time in late March. We're hiring a car and will be staying in Holsworthy (due to timeshare swap=cheap accommodation; most places to visit are not too close).

We don't and won't have a schedule. If we visit National Heritage sites, should we get a some sort of pass, or pay as we go?

Any other advice? We're from the USA, have been to the UK several times (look LEFT!). Interested in nature/animals, history, particularly sailing navy, handmade crafts, bakeries. We're bringing umbrellas and have a week in Devon (possible day trips to Cornwall, too. Oh, and fossicking is a must!

From other posts, Totnes sounds like fun, Dartmoor, of course, We'll visit a friend of a friend who wants to show us Plymouth.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: National Heritage sites and wandering

I think I have read that there is an organisation in the US with Oak in the title that has reciprocal arrangements with the National Trust. Sorry I can't remember more or where I read it and I hope, for your sake, it isn't Canadian rather than American.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: National Heritage sites and wandering

A visit to Slapton Sands is a very good idea. Taking into account the tragic loss of US lives in 1944 it is also a beautiful area of Devon. A memorial has been erected fairly recently to commerate the event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger

There is more info and a Roll of Honour in this link.

www.combinedops.com/COM_ROLL_OF_HONOUR.htm

13. Re: National Heritage sites and wandering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 05:16