We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

Hi there! OH and I would like to spend a week in Devon at the end of June. We've never been and I really don't know where to start in terms of research as there's so much info out there!

We will be driving and will use the car for getting around. We'd like to spend the majority of our time near a beach, but it must be a sandy beach, not a pebbly one. It doesn't have to be action-packed, but some options for sightseeing/galleries/museums/independent shops/nice food (OH is a veggie btw) would be good, as we're not keen on long walks. Also, hope this doesn't sound rude, but we'd like to avoid typical family-type destinations, as we're a young couple and this is supposed to be a relaxing romantic break (hopefully!) :)

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

Try this: www.millbrookcottages.co.uk . It has 'romance' written all over it!

You won't be disappointed.

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

Totnes, in south Devon, would probably suit you for "independent shops" and veggie restaurants. Dartmouth, with its castle and ferry, is a charming seaside town close by. A mile or two west from Dartmouth you'll find

Blackpool sands; a highly recommended beach. Exeter is handy for a day trip.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
379 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

Dartmouth is a good choice but although Blackpool sands is a stunning location - the beach is not sandy

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

How about Croyde in North Devon? It has an amazing sandy beach, beautiful coastal walks (Baggy Point being my favourite) and is a bustling surfers paradise. Although you get lots of families in the school holidays, you can avoid much of the crowd visiting out of season (as you are).

You are no distance from Braunton, Barnstaple, Woolacombe and Ilfracombe, plus only a couple of hours from Exeter if you fancy a city visit. There are several nice pubs/eateries in the town and plenty of choice for veggies, too.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

I'd second Dartmouth as well for all the reasons you have asked forhttp://www.discoverdartmouth.com/, there are sandy beaches in the area at Mill Bay completedevon.co.uk/devon-beaches/24-mill-ba… , Bigbury bbc.co.uk/devon/…bigbury_on_sea_facts.shtml and Bantham http://www.banthamdevon.co.uk/ to name a few but they are all about 30/40 mins away but all are stunning locations and beautiful drives.

We had our honeymoon in Dartmouth so I'd recomend it from the romance element!

Lynton
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

I live in Lynton so endorse the Destination Expert's suggestion of Croyde and Woolacombe. I also recommend heading further East over to Lynton. Lynton has the added bonus of being on Exmoor which means you get coast and countryside. The beach at Lynmouth is pebbly but It's definately worth coming for a few days due to the beautiful scenery, lots of fab walks, quirky village shops, etc. etc.

There are lots of great guest houses in Lynton and those on Lee Road are especially well placed, have great views over the village and hills AND have parking! Several cater well for vegetarians and vegans and there are also good eating places in the village that can cater for veggies and vegans too.

devon
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

the north devon coast is generally much "wilder' than south devon. as its very close to Exmoor.,

east devon has a mix of pebble beaches and golden sandy ones.

the best surf is at north devon.

if you want quieter give torquay a wide berth

exmouth is golden sands and busy but the beach is almost 2 miles long and has sand dunes. nearby is ladram bay. Exeter has more in the way of shops.

Totnes is not a beach but a lovely town, which has a lot of independant shops and good eateries!

and you can take the steam train or boat to dartmouth.also agatha christies house is worth a visit.

8. Re: Devon expertise please - first time visitor :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 06:49