We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

Dublin
4 posts
Save Topic
Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

Hi

Myself and my wife are heading to Bath on the 8th Sept - spending 1 night in Bath - we plan then to spend a week in both Devon going south to Cornwall and ending back in Bristol for the 15th Sept.

We are travelling by car and staying Bed and Breakfast.

I have no idea where I am going stay and would love some recommendations on towns villages and places that we should visit and stay in.

Look forward to any feedback i might receive no matter how small - this is the first holiday that is left to me to plan and its a dream of mine to visit the south of Eng - my wife usually organizes everything and she is extremely good at - so I would like to prove that I can also organize a great holiday.

Many Tks - Peter M.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

Hi Peter, great decision to go and visit Devon and Cornwall.

Allow me first of all to admit to bias: I live in East Devon, and love it! Main reason I would recommend it to you is because a. it is very accessible when coming from Bath and heading south and b. it is hugely varied. Gorgeous (Jurassic) coast line (think Beer, Branscombe, Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton), lovely Exe estuary (think Lympstone, Topsham, Exeter) and beautiful countryside inland.

Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for inspiration and ideas for places to stay and eat.

Enjoy, you'll love it.

PS maybe post on Cornwall forum too, for input on the county.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,925 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

The Jurasic coast is great.

Dartmouth has a few things to do. http://www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk/

Exmoor National Park do safaris to see the unique ponies, ancient sites and red deer, lots of villages, coastal boat trips and things to do

of which Lynmouth is part and lovely http://www.cliffrailwaylynton.co.uk/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

It's been a while since we've been there but three places that still stand out in our memories as being beautiful. Buckland-in-the-Moor on the edge of Dartmoor, Devon . It is a tiny village with only thatched cottages.(Dartmeet near there is beautiful too, I seem to recall) Polperro on the coast in Cornwall. Clovelly in Devon is also a must. There are so many beautiful places to see in that part of the world. Have fun! :)

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

If you're planning two or three nights in Devon, you could do far worse than base yourself close to Exeter Take a look at Lower Thornton Farm at Kenn - I've no connection other than having stayed there several times. Ask for the four poster room.

Topsham just outside Exeter is worth a few hours, the old customs shed down on the quay has three floors of antiques and collectibles if that appeals. Travel to East Devon for Pecorama if you're into model trains - the gardens there are quite spectacular, and Seaton for a ride on the tramway, you'll do both comfortably in a day. Dawlish is a pretty little seaside town with nice gardens right in the centre

Morwellham quay is worth a look, although the place is still being re-developed, and for something different try a canal trip for a couple of hours at Tiverton. Oh and if shopping is something your wife likes, Trago Mills! Also try the Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, a recent find!

Travelling down to Cornwall call in a Dingles Fairground Museum at Lifton.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

I'd also vote for Dartmouth as it has everything from lovely shops, great resturants, a Castle, the estuary and sea with various boat trips, steam train trips, Agatha Christie's house, the naval college....

If your trip takes you any where near Torquay even in passing I would recommend Kents Cavern http://www.kents-cavern.co.uk/ we have been in caves all over the world and the tour and the caves themselves are one of the best we have been to in terms of quality of tour/guide and overall experience.

What kind of things do you and your wife like to see/do?

Edited: 18 July 2011, 17:21
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

I'd recommend Hope Cove and Burgh Island in South Devon. But if you want unspoilt, off the tourist map and super-friendly, head to Chulmleigh in North Devon and stay the night. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Don't forget to feedback here after your trip !

Mike

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

I'd recommend the North Devon coast: Lynton/Lynmouth, Mortehoe, Croyde

Exmoor: Tarr Steps, Simonsbath, Withypool

Dartmoor: Tavistock, Lydford, Widdecombe-in-Moor

Berks
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

As far as recommendations on accommodation go I would visit Alastair Sawdays site www.sawdays.co.uk

Britains Finest - www.britainsfinest.co.uk and

Rated Places - www.rated-places.com

SAM

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

For East Devon Coast I would recommend Sidmouth, Beer, Branscombe and Budleigh Salterton. Further west dont mis the magnificence of Dartmoor, you can be in Widdecombe in the Moor or Haytor Vale within 20 mins of leaving the A38. Bovey Tracey is a pleasant working town, not chocolate box but a good place to start to explore south-east Dartmoor. Dartmeet, just north of Asburton has a great walk over stepping stones on the Dart River. Head off to the South Hams of Dartmouth and Kingwear (across the Dart). Dartmouth has loads to do with boat trips, Steam train (from Kingswear) Dartmouth Castle, lots of restaurants and galleries. Would recommend the Royal Castle Hotel, though not cheap. Salcombe is very picturesque, you can get the pedestrian ferry to East Portlemouth with great sandy beaches or walk down to North and South Sands (ditto) from Salcombe.

Where do I start with Cornwall. Its almost like being in a different country (the Kernovians will probably say it is). I dont know East Cornwall very well, though I do recall Looe is very nice and inland towns like Tavistock. Personally I like the Lizard peninsula and St Just in Penwith (the wild, wild west) If you go to the Lizard give Coverack, Cadgwith and Kynance Cove a try, then onto Penzance a real town, then onto Newlyn ( sardine city ) and Mousehole. Avoid the emmett traps like St Ives, unless you like Cornish Pasties and Piskies, though it has a great sea front and is home to the Tate South West. There is so much to see, you cant possibly do it in a few days. Still, hope this has been some help and have a great time.

10. Re: Planned trip to Devon and Cornwall Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 03:17