We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

Hi

Am travelling from London to Axminster soon but would like to break the journey up for lunch, can anyone recommend a place to stop off for something to eat and having a bit of browse around?

Thanks

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

Loch Ness is very pleasant, but it is a bit out of your way.

Why not have a look at a map, and search engine, and see what comes up against your interests. If you have kids, Longleat Animal Park may be of interest

Hampshire
Level Contributor
261 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

London to Axminster, M3 - A31 - A35. Winchester is well worth a stop just off the motorway. Great atmosphere, plenty to see and lots of nice eateries. Wimborne would be your next choice followed by Dorchester.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

The Royal Oak at Fritham, in the New Forest.

telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/8360068/Ha…

Mike

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

Or you could take the A303 route and stop off at Stonehenge. There are also a couple of pubs which do food in Mere - although not a lot to look around. It kind of depends which route you choose - the other way mentioned by Ford fucus takes you through part of the New Forest. Lyndhurst might be a nice detour.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

You'd be best advised to take the M3/A303 in my opinion. It's much quicker than the A31/A35 through the New Forest. In terms of a stop off, there are many options. Stonehenge, previously mentioned is right next to the road so that's easy but it can get crowded. If you don't mind making a slight detour I would recommend Salisbury or Sherborne in Dorset, which is a very pretty little town. Bon voyage!

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

Depends what you're looking for. I'd second the M3/A303 route. I reckon the A31/A35 route will add best part of a couple of hours to your journey.

As to stopping, bear right at Countess Wear, Amesbury on to the A345. Wander north on the A345 for 5-6 miles, passing Netheravon on your right, until you see the sign for Enford, also off to your right. Bear right into the village and right again onto Long Street. 100 yds and you'll find the Swan PH for lunch.

You can follow Long Street down through one or two other villages, Haxton and Fittleton into Netheravon, then back out to the A345, turn left for Amesbury to resume your journey onto the A303 at Countess Wear.

Out to your left (or right) depending on direction of travel you'll see a major electricity line. I built it in the late 1960's which is why I know the area so well.

The link will take you to street view for a look at the Swan. I'd not recommend the Dog and Gun, which you'll pass on the A345 at Netheravon. Wasn't impressed when I called in there last year.

http://g.co/maps/a4zta

Hampshire
Level Contributor
261 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

I must comment on the posting above. I travel this route all the time admittedly not all the way to Axminster but as far as West Dorset and Axminster is only a further six miles. I always use the M3, M27, A31 and A35. I can assure you if there was a two hour time difference I also would use the A303, but there is not. There is virtually nothing to choose between them.

The original posting requested somewhere to stop, have a bite to eat and a bit of a browse around. Where better than Winchester, no more than a two mile detour. Other towns mentioned such as Salisbury and Sherborne are pleasant but this would involve an extra 25 miles. Hardly a small detour.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

"I reckon the A31/A35 route will add best part of a couple of hours to your journey."

This is just plain wrong.

I've tried both these routes over countless journeys to the South West and these days I always use the A31/A35. Nicer views, better places to stop and very little time difference.

Mike

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

Thanks very much, Winchester was lovely, not much of a detour at all and there was a wonderful craft fair at the guildhall.

Thanks again, and to everyone else for their suggestions

10. Re: Travelling from London to Axminster - where to stop off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:17