We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Devon December by the sea

London
Level Contributor
89 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Devon December by the sea

We are planning to go to Devon next weekend for 3 nights. Thinking about Salcombe or Ilfracombe but any other suggestions welcome. I would like to stay near the sea rather than the moors and don't really want to be in a town. We like walking, exploring, nice pubs and maybe country house/gardens (may rejoin NT). Where will be 'open' next weekend, especially with anything Christmassy going on, and can anyone recommend a hotel, guest house or pub to stay in. Don't need luxury, just warmth and lots of hot water! Thanks for any help or advice you can offer

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Budleigh Salterton might meet some of your requirements. There are lovely cliff and riverside walks from there and lots of nearby places to explore.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

How about the Rising Sun in Lynmouth. A really quaint village and a cosy place to stay leading up to Christmas.

For Gods' sake do not choose Ilfracombe.

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Salcombe sounds like a good choice, it can be annoyingly crowded in the summer but maybe perfect for you. The South Hams area is my favourite part of Devon, if you want to get even more off the beaten track, have a look at Hope Cove or Noss Mayo.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Another vote for South Hams here. although if you say you do not want to be in a town then Salcombe is not for you as it is a town by definition.

If you want to be able to walk to lots of pubs and restaurants then a town (they are not huge by any means) like Salcombe or Dartmouth (which for me wins hands down for a more relaxed atmosphere) would work for you.

If you are looking at a village then you will not get the choice of pubs and restaurants to walk to then Hope Coveis nice http://www.hopecove.com/ I have seen this hotel but never been. Soar Mill Cove is beautiful but there is the hotel http://www.soarmillcove.co.uk/ and that is it, apart from a lovely but sometimes muddy walk down to the cove and then on to lovely cliff walks. Again never stayed there but have parked and walk to the cove so many times.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Jurassic Coast is very pretty and varied. Check out places like Beer, Lyme Regis or Topsham to stay and visit. www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk should help. Dartmouth and Salcombe will also not disappoint.

And echoing John1944's sentiment, Ilfracombe may not be at its best in this time of the year, with very little around it in terms of places that tick the boxes you mention.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,386 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Salcombe might be a good idea as it is sandy and we have had a lot of rain down here, though if it gets windy there is nothing to stop it.

Lynmouth is a good spot, sheltered by hills and wonderful walks up the valley by the river Lynn. It should be spectacular after the rain and easy to see any wildlife with no leaves on the trees at this time of year. And snuggle in front of a log fire in the evening. Lots of nice places to stay.

Most events in my search were this w/e but if you decide on some places you want to go then give the tourist information centre for the areas a ring and see what will be on.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

I'd add to the recommendations for Lynmouth; Ilfracombe has a small beach and a nice harbour but is very much a town and without a real seaside feel for me personally.

Lynmouth is a beautiful little place, large pebbled beach and rocks to walk on, fantastic walk up to its twin village Lynton with fantastic vistas of the coast, or walk from Watersmeet down to the sea. There is a village feel but with plenty of eateries and pubs.

http://www.lynton-lynmouth-tourism.co.uk/

London
Level Contributor
89 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

Thanks every one for your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't very clear when I mentioned towns as I was really thinking of towns as big as Exeter and Plymouth - we probably need a small town rather than a village in December. We went to the Jurassic coast a couple of years ago, basing ourselves at Lyme Regis - would recommend The Royal Lion from our experience then. We went briefly to Lynmouth this summer and did enjoy it but the favouites for us at the moment look like Salcombe or Toprquay as we've never been there. Any further suggestions very welcome!

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

NO!! Do NOT go to Torquay! If you're looking for quaint, attractive this is not the place to go.

I would recommend Lynton. Not too busy, fabulous walks, you have the Valley of the Rocks to explore and the cliff railway. Also within proximity of all the North Devon coastal resorts.

This guest house (Castle Hill) in Lynton was recently on channel four's "4 in a bed" programme and has excellent reviews on TA. Check it out:

http://castlehill.biz/index.html

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in Devon December by the sea

I would second the 'No' for Torquay! My vote is for Salcombe http://www.salcombeinformation.co.uk/ or Dartmouth http://www.discoverdartmouth.com/ Both are lovely at this time of year, we were in Dartmouth for 10 days a week ago and are back there for 10 days at New Year.

Let us know what you decide.

Get answers to your questions about Devon