We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burgh Island - worth a visit?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Burgh Island - worth a visit?

Hi, I'm off to Slapton at the end of next week for a week's holiday with my dog. It's our first visit to Devon and I'm really looking forward to exploring new places. Came across some references to Burgh Island in the last issue of Coast magazine and I was wondering if it would be worth a visit? Would we be able to walk with our dog on the footpaths, given that I've read that the owners of the Island tried to shut all the footpaths down? Is it easy to get to from Slapton? And does anybody know if the Pilchard Inn is dog friendly so we can go there for lunch? Thanks!

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

There are a lot of signs around the island keeping us plebs away from paying guests and we're also only allowed into one side of the pub. This is a tiny, tiny area so unless the weather is good enough to sit outside, I wouldn't bother with it.

Assuming you're driving then it is very easy to get to from Slapton. I don't know about bus services.

2. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 13:55
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

At low tide it is a stunning beach, our dogs love it! It is all sand with rock pools at the island end.

We often walk down the Estuary then back up and down the beach they love to run from one side to the other as there is sea on either side. The Pilchard has a sheltered outside area where we have eaten, we have also taken them inside as well.

Or we have a snack at the Venus cafe which is in the car park and has stunning views. All the seating is outside but if it is cooler they have big patio heaters, we have sat outside and had brunch in mid Dec if that gives you an idea of how lovely it is.

The only thing to watch out for in May is the seasonal dog bans on some beaches www.southhams.gov.uk/dogbannedbeaches.pdf

Enjoy your stay, let us know how you get on!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

It'sa place that seems to divide opinions. We love it and I've spent many a happy day in one side or other of "The Pilchard". The landlord gave us, two friends and our 4 dogs a very warm welcome indeed when we were there last February.

Brilliant place, amazing beach, don't miss it.

Mike

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1,296 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

The beach is nice, the island is not all that big, you could walk it in an hour, but you may as well just walk aound the local footpaths to Slapton for good scenery.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

Thanks everybody - think it's probably on the list again now! Appreciate the info.

Alton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

We had a pleasant stay here in 2002 with our (then young) children. Touring the area this week we decided to call in for afternoon tea. This property advertises itself as a hotel, so imagine my surprise when I found the front entrance locked at lunchtime on a Saturday! Then we saw the unfriendly notice outside stating that non-residents are not welcome. A notice that's repeated on the door of the adjacent pub, just in case you hadn't got the message clearly the first time.

I've only been in the Hotel business for 35 years, so I guess there's still time for me to see this approach somewhere else before I retire!

0 out of 10, well worth a miss.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

Whether or not you include Burgh Island, you must include the beach. Bigbury, as it is generally known, is one of the most beautiful beaches in Devon, and at low tide and on a week day the place is quiet, tranquil, and extremely picturesque. Well worth a visit if you are staying so close, no doubt about it. We've been taking our kids there for a long time, and I've never actually got as far as the island!

Other walks to add while you're in the area:

Park at Lannacombe Beach and walk to Start Point Lighthouse, maybe including a tour of the lighthouse.

Park in East Prawle, walk down to the coastal path, then go west for beautiful and dramatic views, and lovely little sandy coves. Cut back inland back to the village for a pint in the characterful pub.

Drive to Dartmouth, park your car, then get on the passenger ferry to Kingswear. The coastal path from here is really beautiful, but you might not want to go all the way to Brixham as it is a hell of a way back!

Have a good time. Oh, and it is about 30 minutes drive from Slapton to Bigbury by car, but not an unpleasant one. You should check out Hope Cove and Bantham as well if you have time. The walk around the point, east from Hope Cove, is stunning!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

Bigbury is definitely worth a visit - even if you don't go over to the island.

Be warned that some of the approach roads are very narrow.

10. Re: Burgh Island - worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:17