We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castles in Devon

Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Castles in Devon

Hello

I would like some people's personal advice on visiting castles in Devon. A few years back I went to Tintagel castle and that was great but that's a little too far from Dartmouth where we're staying. Would like to visit a largish castle where you could spend 1/2 there along with a 3 year old. I'm aware Dartmouth has a castle but I can't seem to gauge the size of it

Thanks Olie

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castles in Devon

Check www.castleexplorer.co.uk

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castles in Devon

Dartmouth Castle is quite small, but is worth seeing plus terrific views out to see from it.

Castle Drogo is a National Trust Property within driving distance, also Powderham Castle, neither are particularly historic, but worth checking out.Powderham Castle has a lot of events during the summer months so could be just the job for your youngster.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castles in Devon

Another local castle to you is Totnes castle, although this is quite small and you probably couldn't spend more than a couple of hours there - I would agree with Powderham or castle drogo.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castles in Devon

Dartmouth Castle is lovely but not big The pictures here will give you a good idea of it's size english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/… It is a nice walk from Dartmouth itself if you 3yr old is up for a walk, the path goes through a bit of a wooded area just before the Castle. There is a lovely little cafe when you get there. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186253-d2…

Totnes as has been suggested is english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/… a bit bigger but again perhaps not what you are looking for.

We keep meaning to visit Berry Pomeroy Castle english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…Right which is not too far from Totnes

Your 3yr old may like playing in the Fort at Bayard's Cove which is in the hear of Dartmouth. english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/… it has lots of openings that they can look through out onto the estuary (be warned though there are no safety barriers on them and some are floor level some a small child's step up) so fun but be aware as you go in. It is tiny but free and you can pop in when you are wandering round town.

There is a large cannon http://www.devonguide.com/photos/img362.htm on the estuary front towards the lower ferry that they may like playing on as well.

Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castles in Devon

Many Thanks for your replies. I'll be checking these out.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castles in Devon

Enjoy your time in Dartmouth! We love the time we get to spend at our house there and can never get back soon enough.

If you haven't found out already Dartmouth is a great place to 'fish' for crabs from the estuary bank, normally full of children (young and old) doing exactly that.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castles in Devon

Castle Drogo is not very exciting - it is a fairly modern building in a beautiful setting but not highly 'castlesque'.

Buckland Abbey is much more interesting (although not a castle!), with lots of child-friendly stuff and Drake's Drum to see:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/buckland-abbey/

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
636 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castles in Devon

The best castle to visit near Dartmouth, especially with children, is Berry Pomeroy. It LOOKS like a castle should, with a proper gatehouse and with one or two spiral staircases to explore and lots of little places play hide and seek. A dleightful spot for a picnic but there's also a nice tea-house.

9. Re: Castles in Devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:42