We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Seaton vs Sidmouth?

How would you rate Sidmouth against Seaton, looking to rent a self catering /house cottage or stay at a holiday park in early September, 5 adults and one 4 month old baby going! Any info would be great, thanks

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

They both have their appeal. I wouldn't knock one against t'other, but it's worth remembering that there is a ford on one of the routes into/out of Sidmouth. Not normally a problem, but I reckon it's not been passable for a day or two after all the heavy rain.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

I think Sidmouth would be better for you. A slightly larger town with more facilities and a sandy, rather than pebble, beach. But do visit Seaton for a ride on the tramway.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Sidmouth is much nicer than Seaton in my opinion.

You might also consider Exmouth which is a little further down the coast and has a very long sandy beach.

Would recommend Sweetcombe Cottage Holidays for rentals.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Sidmouth does tend to be largely retired people but if you are choosing between these two it sounds as though you are after a quiet holiday.

It is a real old fashiond, seaside town. You can get great fresh seafood, eat in one of the lovely big, old fashioned hotels for a touch of glamour and a good little museum there.

You can get a boat trip along the Jurassic Coast if the weather cheers up.

Seaton is definitely more of a beach holiday.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
875 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Sidmouth any time. Seaton is in desparate need of major TLC, whereas Sidmouth just keeps reinventing iteself. Would have to disagree with Sue (above) re.'retirement image' of Sidmouth. 10 years ago maybe, but not anymore, it is hugely diverse now.

Also, don't forget the inland areas behind Sidmouth: East Budleigh, Otterton, Ottery St. Mary, Colyton, all small towns/villages with huge appeal!

Check out www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk/stay for great places to stay in East Devon.

Emjoy.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

I can only agree with above poster - Sidmouth wins hands down for me. The tramway is worth a visit in Seaton, but is quite expensive if there is a family to pay for so check first.

Sidmouth is very genteel nice shops, be sure to dine at Fields Dept store, it's like stepping back in time, they actually hoover the floor between diners! Try to visit Beer whilst in the area, lovely place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

the west side of seaton is quite charming but the town is a let down has been for 40 years sadly

the new big tescos there (yes really!) may and hopefully breath some new life into her. seaton bay is lovely.

axmouth is cute. sidmouth oozes charm and is pure hyacinth bucket land. lol

Beer village is delightful and great for children and safe as houses...

lots of s/c there to choose from and a lovely caravan park there too at

beer head...lovely unspolit site with a good shop and cafe.

highly recommended

Edited: 11 July 2012, 20:04
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Thanks all for your replies, can any one recommend any good self catering cottages/houses in the sidmouth area? I've looked at sweetcombe but they don't have much left, there are 5 adults, one dog (so doggy friendly)and 1 4 month old baby and we need 2 bathrooms atleast and are looking for a property that is walking distance to the town. Thanks for your replies in advance

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
875 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

Have a look here Marvellous: www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk

Walking distance to the town may be tricky as most self catering cottages in East Devon are ever so slightly rural (usually on former farms).

Good luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaton vs Sidmouth?

jean bartlett cottages or milkbere holidays (both in beer and lyme i think)

just Google them

ruralretreats is another (pricey)

maybe national trust has some cottages on their site.

something totally different but super fun and they have one near Beer

http://www.featherdown.co.uk/

its wicked i loved it!!!