We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
public transport

I am thinking of booking haven, devon cliffs for the school summer holidays. I will not have a car and was wondering what the public transport is like for getting around? I have 3 children, who will be 10,8 &4, they are keen to go to diggerland, the model railway place, crealy themepark and dartmouth castle. will this be practical, Ie will they have to sit on a bus for 2hrs each way and is it expensive? All advice on public transport will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport

Devon Cliffs is a bit out of the way although you can get a bus into Exmouth which has a rail link to Exeter.

It is a huge caravan park - I heard the largest in Europe - and some of the vans are quite a long way from the beach (which is very small at high tide).

In my opinion it resembles a "caravan city" although maybe your children would like it.

There are reviews of Devon Cliffs elsewhere on this site - suggest you read them to see if this is the place for you.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport

You may be able to get a family ticket for buses try asking for a Southwest Family ticket that'll cover 2 adults, three children for £18.70 all day with all buses in Devon and Cornwall. There is one ticket that covers trains too but its for Cornwall only. In my opinion, look at driving it may be cheaper I'm afraid from what I can see its far less potentially for the length of your stay.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport

Unfortunately I think you would be spending a lot of time on buses on this holiday. Have you looked at caravans at Dawlish Warren? There is a train station there which makes getting around a lot easier.

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport

thanks for your replies, it sounds like it's a bit out of the way, I'm really looking for a base so we can explore the area without too much hassel, haven just looked good as it has a great pool onsite which would've been great for the kids. Im travelling from scotland so its cheaper to buy a train ticket than pay for diesel plus i dont like motorways much, we drove to cornwall a few years ago and i loved the area but swore never to drive it again! I'll have alook at Dawlish Warren, thanks.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport

You would also be sharing the swimming pool with thousands of other people at Haven!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport

I loved Dawlish Warren as a child, the grown-ups weren't so impressed and I had to constantly pester. It has most things that children are happy with that involve beach, sea and lots of land to run around on :-)

It's also near Exmouth which has boat trips.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport

Digger land will be fairly difficult to get to by public transport wherever you stay. Tiverton Parkway is the nearest railway station and realistically a taxi from there would be your best bet. Otherwise it's buses from Exeter with changes at either Cullompton or Tiverton.

8. Re: public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 06:17