We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Devon

Oh my last posting just got deleted, must have said something controversial. LOL.

I have friends visiting from Australia next week and they would like to do a whistle stop tour of Devon. What do you think are the MUST places to visit.

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Devon

My positing that got deleted stated that from next year Devon will get a larger slice of European funding. This hopefully will have an impact on economic growth, thus some of our towns which are looking a bit tired and run down , may start returning to their formal grandeur

In terms of a tour of South Devon, I will be recommending to my visitors who will be staying with me in Torbay that they also visited, Totnes, Dartmouth, Shaldon, Slapton, Salcombe. Dartmoor.

I would be interested to hear OP views re the best of North, West and East Devon. Maybe one day we will get our own tv programme (!!) and these wonderful places can then be featured.

. (fingers crossed this posting does not get deleted.)

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Devon

I do not like south devon, but in love with North Devon, I stay in Westward Ho! Love Croyde, Clovelly, Bideford, Flemington quay.

13. Re: Devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 16:21
14. Re: Devon

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 16:21
15. Re: Devon

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 12:35
Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Devon

You are already heading in the right direction with where you are going to recommend your visitors to go to in South Devon, although hopefully you'll give them specific things to see and do in these places rather than just suggesting they go and look around because the places are quaint! I can give you some great specific ideas about what to do and see in South Devon, and to be honest your friends could easily spend a fantastic week here without spreading their net, so to speak.

However, it is hard to ignore the rest of Devon - East Devon, where I was today, has very definite charms that give it a special flavour. This morning I went to A La Ronde, a wonderful 16 sided house which I defy anyone not to enjoy visiting, then lunch at The Feathers in Budleigh Salterton, followed by a bracing walk on the wonderful beach. You could pop to Topsham or Darts Farm afterwards to complete the afternoon, but there you go, a great day out in East Devon!

Surely they should spend a day on Dartmoor?! Drive up past Haytor, up to Jay's Grave (look it up on the 'net), on to Grimspound for a look at the evocative Bronze Age settlement, then go to The Rugglestone for lunch. Afterwards head to Dartmoor Prison Museum for a couple of hours of real intrigue, and then back to Ashburton for a wander round the nice shops and a cream tea. Can't beat that!

Exeter's another option with the Cathedral, the RAMM (winner of museum of the year in 2012, and very worthy of it), the Underground Tunnels, great shopping and places to eat.

I don't know West Devon too well, but Plymouth has plenty of appeal for some. Two great houses/gardens to visit if they are open are Lukesland and Shilstone, both quite near Ivybridge.

I don't know North Devon well enough to say much about it, but like the rest of Devon, it certainly has plenty going for it.

If you want more ideas, please just message me and I'll be happy to help.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Devon

Rusticalex I found your posting very interesting. I am staying near Kingsteignton for a week in April and had planned to visit Exeter for a day,and on another take a look at Agatha Chrisites home and now will add your round house to my places to visit. Is it best to book at the feathers or can a solo diner easily get a seat at lunchtime. Your other suggestions I am going to reseach now ......while I cannot get to sleep !! It looks like I will have filled my week with lovely places to visit (not Plymouth on this visit) thanks for your info.

Devon
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Devon

Lukesland Gardens near Ivybridge, is a charming place to visit. When we arrived on Sunday 13th October, there were few trees showing their autumn colours, but they won't be long. 24 acres of garden to walk through, with a wide range of rhododendrons, magnolias, and camellias, which I am sure are a picture in the spring. The whole complex is based upon a valley with small flowing streams tumbling over the many small waterfalls.

The Howell family still live in the mansion on site, but that is only open on special days listed on their website. Most of the paths are fairly shallow slopes, but some are more challenging and certainly at this time of year, stout shoes or boots are essential. To top it all is the tea room, in a former billiard room! Here they offer hot and cold drinks, cakes of course, and welcome hot soup with fresh bread, all at reasonable prices. A welcome log fire was burning on the day we arrived Toilets close-by the tea room, are clean and well equipped. Entrance charges are reasonable, and offset the obviously high cost of running the estate while providing a boost for local charities.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Devon

The Jurassic Coast is beautiful with fine villages and towns along the coast. I'm familiar with Branscombe, Beer and Sidmouth which are all charming, particularly Branscombe.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Devon

How come this post is resurected all of a sudden? And why has Tripadvisor deleted so many of the entries?

Odd.....