We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Hi

we are travelling to devon next year but am stuck on where to choose to stay. We will be taking our dog so we need a cottage with a garden. can anybody recomend anywhere. can you also give me an insight to the above places.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,753 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Instow would be my first thought if you are dog walking. A beautiful area with lots of choice. Appledore is interesting with places to eat in the evening but Clovelly you would possibily have to pay to go to the harbour and it would be heaving with multi national visitors sightseeing. It's on the route - London - Bath - Clovelly!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Hasn't there just been a tediously long, and controvertial thread, regarding dogs on Instow beach??

My advice, Hutchys, is research for dog friendly places first, then post back with some possibly new options...

www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/directory.asp…

Edited: 22 August 2013, 19:03
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

I would also recommend Instow of the three you mention both for the village and as a dog walker. There was thread regarding dog MESS on Instow beach, but dogs are allowed and welcomed on the beach as long as you keep an eye on them and clean up after them - as I am sure you would as a responsible dog owner!

Appledore is a funny little place, fiercely local and has a 'front' but no real beach, whereas Instow does. Instow also has several nice pubs/eateries (The Bar, the Boathouse, etc). Clovelly is a private village, very pretty but overrun with tourists constantly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Or Croyde Bay. Most of the chalets have small gardens. Very pretty beach and lots of walks nearby.

Of your three. Not Clovelly ; too touristy. Probably Instow.

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

thank you all, that was very helpful - i almost booked a cottage in clovelly last night but think i may have to do a little more research. thanks again.

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

actually the cottage i have spotted is in bucks mill - is that a nice place to visit - central?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Its a tiny hamlet a few miles from Bideford which is a nice town . If you want peace and quiet and lovely walks with the dog along the beach then it sounds lovely. Clovelly a few miles away is overrun with tourists but this little hamlet will probably be the opposite.

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

so are we able to take the dog onto the beach at bucks mill?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,909 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

I don't know. Its a few years since we had a holiday in this area but your cottage landlord / agency should be able to answer that question.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,753 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appledore, clovelly, or instow

Bideford Tourist Info www.torridge.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2070 you could phone or email with your request