We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Devon

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Devon

We are doing a big trip to England Ireland and Scotland in August. My plan is to train as far as Exeter then pick up a hire car and head gradually west, starting with Dartmoor and travelling along the coast to Cornwall and then up to North Devon.. We don't like touristy busy places which is why I thought Dartmoor would be nice. My husband thinks we should start further east and drive along the South Devon coast. Are there places along the south coast that we shouldn't miss? Also I cant seem to find a hire car place at the train station in Exeter.

Thanks for any help.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Devon

Budget is located in Exeter St David`s station, budget.co.uk/budget-UK/en_GB/rental-location…

Lots worth seeing on the south Devon coast, from Dartmouth, Salcombe, Hope Cove, Thurleston to Newton Ferrers.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Devon

Thank you

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Devon

Hello Ms Frawley, practical.co.uk/locations/… also offer car hire from St Davids station. We have had good reports on them.

As far as advice is concerned, just spend 15 minutes or so scrolling down this Devon Forum, and you'll probably find what you need.

Enjoy!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,788 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Devon

Depending on time why not travel the coast road from South Devon round Cornwall to North Devon.

Tourists - August is the height of the tourist season as it is School Summer holidays so the roads you cannot avoid but there are still quieter places.

From Cornwall A30 to North Devon the A39 road has some of the most beautiful scenery. Drop into Tintagle, Appledore, Ilfracombe sea front, Combe Martin, Lynton/Lynmouth (especially beautiful) over Exmoor which is a stunningly beautiful drive with amazing views over to Wales with wild Exmoor ponies, purple heather clothing the moor and red deer, drop down into Porlock with lovely thatched cottage villages on National Trust/National Park land,

Turn off at Taunton (preferable) onto the motorway and back to Exeter or just beyond Minehead (3miles) is Dunster castle & village with a lovely & different , if winding road on the turn towards Tiverton and the motorway. you head past the Quantocks to Wells.

Stately homes, castles, medieval villages and plenty of places to stop and eat.

http://www.rural-roads.co.uk/a39/a39_1.shtml

www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php…

greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/A39.html

Edited: 25 June 2014, 13:54
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Devon

Thanks I'll look at them

6. Re: Where to go in Devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16