We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where ever I lay my hat.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Where ever I lay my hat.

Planning ahead x we are coming to either Dartmouth or Brixham in may. We are young 60s somethings with our two lads one will be with his girlfriend. We want something for everyone. Old buildings and a pub for one. Tea rooms for me and my son. And a good pub,restaurant and club . For the othere's two. X Not being snobbish well I am . I thinking Dartmouth myself. Looking for a nice cottage too please x

8 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

With the criteria you give, you can't really go wrong with either. You might struggle a bit with "clubs" but the youngsters can always bus into Torquay and get a taxi back.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
1,617 reviews
2. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

Both are excellent places however we loved Dartmouth.....the boat trip from Torquay(we combined it with a steam train ride at Paignton and cannot remember what it is called)was superb and really worth doing.

Wirewiper is spot on,Torquay is an excellent place for nightlife.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

The boat trip is part of a circular tour. Dartmouth to Kingswear, steam train to Paignton, open top bus to Totnes and river boat back to Dartmouth. Highly recommended for a whole day. Times vary because of the tides so consult locally. You can stop off at any of the places and join the trip later.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

IMO "lay your hat" in Dartmouth.

But a club is the trixy aspect.

Regarding accommodation - I can personally recommend the company linked below for holiday rentals in that overall area; just recently had my fourth visit booked with them; excellent selection of accommodations and top-notch customer services.

https://www.coastandcountry.co.uk/

Edited: 21 October 2018, 14:49
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

Since we'll be staying in Scorriton next Summer, I'm following all the advice you've been receiving with interest. Please post about your experience, and choices you've made after your trip.

Happy Travels!

Yuri.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

Dartmouth is very nice. There is an excellent fish restaurant called The Seahorse which allows customers to bring their own wine on a Wednesday evening.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

... and you can get a nice bottle of Sharpham's from the Dartmouth Wine Co, shop in Duke Street (in the historic Grade I Listed seventeenth-century Butterwalk building). The grapes are grown and the wines bottled on the Sharpham Estate, by the River Dart and around five miles away - you can hardly get more local than that!

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Where ever I lay my hat.

Thanks everyone.x Really helpful information. . I think regarding the nightlife i think they will be ok with a few bars and restaurants. I think the views and the ability to get to so many places , i think Dartmouth might just well win. . I'm on two forums Benidorm and this on. This ones not quite so crazy.x

Edited: 21 October 2018, 18:05
Reply to: Where ever I lay my hat.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dartmouth